switch box mounting

Stupid question, easy answer I am sure...

I am mounting some switchboxes in a router cabinet. Since they will be mounted to .5 and .75" plywood , what do I use to mount them. I have tried #6 screws but that stick out too much. I have tried brads but the heads are too small to cover the mounting holes on the switch box. HELP!

Reply to
Chris Carruth

That's because the screws you're using are too long. Are you not aware that #6 screws come in different lengths?

#6 seems a bit light for the job, anyway; I'd use #8.

Go to a hardware store and get yourself some #8 x 1/2 and #8 x 3/4 pan head sheet metal screws. Use these on the 1/2 and 3/4 plywood respectively.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Get the kind of box that nails flush to a stud face. That gives you the 1/2"

Reply to
Greg

I'm not exactly sure what kind of boxes you are using or how exactly you are mounting them. I'm guessing that you are cutting holes in the plywood the approximate size of the switchbox. You are then inserting the switchboxes into the cutouts. If the boxes have ears you would screw a number six wood screw or sheetmetal screw into each hole on the ears to secure the box.

Now you are experiencing problems with the mounting of the receptacle because of the screw heads. Is this the problem? If so, the solution is simple. Remove the ears on the receptacle. It is a general rule of thumb for electricians that whenever the ears on a box are used, the ears on the receptacle are removed. If you look closely at the ears on the receptacle they are scored for easy snap off with a few bends using pliers. This allows the receptacle to be set back further and prevents the finish wallplate from protruding.

In answer to your second problem: Use a bigger wirenut or wingnut.

Also, portable cord is not approved to be used as permanent wiring.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski