Switch box mount - one more question

Also, on the back receptacle, I am running 2 12/2 cables and the power cord. This means I have 5 ground wires to connect:

-1 from power cord

-1 from switchbox grounding screw

-1 from each cable (2 total)

- 1 from receptacle grounding screw

Issue is that I cannot get 5 wires to solidy bind in a standard wire nut. What do I do?

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Use a split-bolt connector, or a larger wire nut.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Get a bigger wire nut, one that's the right size for five wires. There is no one "standard" wire nut. They come in many different sizes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Twist them together first with pliers then use a gray or blue/gray wire nut.

RobertR

Reply to
Robert Rushing

Better advice would be to use a wire nut _of_the_correct_size_. You can't go by color alone: gray ones from some manufacturers are about the right size to join two #18 wires, and certainly won't join two #12s plus three more wires of some unspecified size.

_Nobody_ here can tell the OP to use any particular size of wire nut, because he hasn't posted the sizes of the wires he's trying to join, save to say that two of the five are #12. We have no idea what the other three are.

For the OP: _every_ package of wire nuts states what combinations of how many wires of what gauge those wire nuts are rated and approved to connect. Look at the packages until you find one that's rated to connect the wires you're trying to put together.

Reply to
Doug Miller

While the rest of what you say is true, I disagree with that part. Color codes are common, I'll bet I could dig up an industry standards list if I tried hard enough. I haven't bought/used anything above yellow and red for years, but I seem to recall a much larger nut that was indeed a shade of blue as described above.

This is the good advice. I would imagine you could even find the info on the manufacturer's websites if you don't want to stand in The Home Depot and read the plastic bags.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

CC> Also, on the back receptacle, I am running 2 12/2 cables and the power cord

CC> This means I have 5 ground wires to connect: CC> -1 from power cord CC> -1 from switchbox grounding screw CC> -1 from each cable (2 total) CC> - 1 from receptacle grounding screw CC> CC> Issue is that I cannot get 5 wires to solidy bind in a standard wire nut. CC> What do I do?

Twist (clockwise) the five ground wires to make a good mechanical connection and then use the proper-sized wire nut. One with flanges or 'wings' maybe easier.

Another option may be to use a terminal or barrier strip.

  • Mixed-up shows: Roseanne Babar
Reply to
barry martin

Lots of good tips, some clarifcation:

1) The five wires I am trying to twist together, as indicated in the OP, are GROUND WIRES rated a for 12 amp circuit.

2) When I say the mounting screws stick out, I do not mean the length, I am talking about sticking out too far in the front, so that the switch cover is not flush with the mounting surface. I am using #6 flat head metal screws, length appropriate.

I will get a larger wire nut for the grounding issue, and will twist of the ears off the receptacle to solve the second issue.

Thanks guys...lots of good advice here...

Reply to
Chris Carruth

That's why I suggested the box with the nailer plate 1/2" back from the face. You mount it from the back.

Reply to
Greg

Consider using an "old work box". The kind with the little swing arm at the top an bottom. Buy the better grade with the metal arms. It will mount flush to the surface with no protruding screws.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt