swamp coolers

During this past winter the plug on the water resevoir on our swamp cooler burst. Also, the water connection cracked in a couple of places. We were wondering if there is a way to fix it or do we have to chuck the whole thing. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

So, I'm thinking you didn't drain your cooler last fall?
The drain plug is usually plastic. Both the plug and the overflow tube that fits in it can be purchased from your local hardware or big box store. The water pipe is also replaceable. That only becomes a problem if the tube is routed from an interior tap to the cooler and isn't accessible.
You really need to read up on seasonal cooler maintenance to avoid this in the future...
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

There's hardly anything to it. Remove the water line and drain in the fall. Drain the line too. Put a cover on it.
Reconnect the lines in the Spring and hose out and refill. Check the fill level and the pad wetting. Toss in a box of baking soda. That last part keeps the thing from being a bacteria swimming pool.
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:58:22 -0500, "jujub"

Got photos?
tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com