Surface Mount Metal Raceway

Greetings,

Imagine a square room with four walls called N E S W. Walls E, W are masonry and walls N, S are framed. I am trying to run two NM cables from boxes on N to boxes on S. I wanted to bridge the masonry walls with a piece of surface mount.

I am using the Surface Mount Metal Raceway products featured on this page:

I would like two 12-2 NM cables to enter the raceway inside a frammed wall (N), pass through 15 ft of straight run (W), and exit the raceway behind another wall (S). My plan was to use two of the fittings BWl7 (see link) to convert between the raceway and a 1/2" knockout. I would put a cable clamp into the knockout to clamp the two NM cables. I would strip the outer sheathing off the NM cables for the duration the the cable was inside the raceway.

Is this legal? (and if not why) Can I bury the BWl7 fittings inside the wall or should they be exposed at the very edge of the wall with the NM concealed within the wall?

I have heard conflicting opinions and I wanted to get the definitive answer from Usenet before beginning work.

Thank you for your time, William

PS: I called their tech support number to ask and the two people I talked to did not know what NM cable was.

Reply to
William.Deans

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to let you know the above comment made me laugh out loud. Definitive answers come from your local electrical inspectors office, not from anonymous people on Usenet.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

The link you provided is for the 700 series of Wiremold. You will never get one 12 NM in there let alone 2. I have not installed this stuff in ages, runs in my mind the max capacity of this small channel is like 3-12's. The stuff is designed for THHN, THWN or similar insulation, NOT NM. What I do is start with a box covert to THHN for example then end with a box and convert back to NM. You could always run 4 or 6 thousand wire mold....

I am kidding of course.

Reply to
SQLit

Greetings,

Perhaps I was not clear. The NM outer sheathing would be stripped for the portion of the run within the raceway. The outer shething would extend far enough into the adapter fitting to be clamped by a screw down cable clamp. From there it would be the individual strands.

Hope this helps, William

William

Reply to
William.Deans

If I'm understanding you William, you want to run two cables through the conduit, which is six #12's. I'm not positive, but I think you are overloading the 500 wiremold. They do make a larger version, #700 really ugly. The mousetrap fittings butt up to the wall

Reply to
RBM

Hey, flame this No!!! I ordered the Streamlight. Thanks for the tip. rbm

Reply to
RBM

Oh - i should have mentioned - The 2 cr123 battery version of the twin tasklight has the button on the side, one click gives you LED, second click goves you Xenon, 3rd click is off again. I want to get one with momentary on/off at the rear for a "Rogers Grip"

See

Cool, although not LED.

Reply to
No

That part seems clear. I've seen one 12/2 nm with sheath slid through #500 wiremold. #700 is larger but I don't think both cables would fit with sheath on, but I think you could get it through after you stripped it

Reply to
RBM

Greetings,

I was going to use the 700 but after looking at it I feel that I might as well use EMT. The 700 is butt ungly and since all of the fittings are going to be inside the wall EMT might not look much, if any, worse. It also gives me more room to run the wires without having to worry about space.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

How about armored cable behind crown-molding?

Reply to
Goedjn

I was under the impression that you weren't allowed to do that to nomex. If you want to go to loose-wire in conduit, you have to do a transition in a J-box, and then use regular wire off a spool for the run through the conduit.

(if, that is, you have to meet code)

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn