Super sealing garage concrete

The best is two part epoxy, there are many good brands to pick from. The most important thing is preparation. Cheat on the prep and you will have a mess on your hands. As far as removing old paint, often you can just scrape it off if it is a small area. You may need to resort to chemical strippers to remove large areas. Follow the directions well! Clean the floor until you can eat off of it, then clean it again! Acid etch with muratic, or phosphoric acid, then clean it again! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I have a few questions regarding my garage. The goal is to have a good looking floor that is sealed against aborbing any oil or whatever else happens to get spilled on it.

First let me say that I restored a car in my garage so the concrete currently has splotches of auto paint, latex house paint, oil, and whatever else. So, the first question is what is the best method to remove all of that and get it looking somewhat new again (is it even possible?) Two things that come to mind are muriatic acid and power washer. But how good will they work (and I am not suggesting using them at the same time!!!!)

Second, what is a good coating. I thought about paint, but I am worried about leaving a long streak of chipped paint if I ever drag something across the floor. Is that a concern with the 2 part epoxies? What I had been considering is some type of clear sealer like I have seen on some floors such as some of the building supply stores. It has sort of a yellowish polyurethane look. But I don't know much about it. Is it chemical resistant? Does it take physical abuse? Where do you get it.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
User Example

Look for a good epoxy (two part preferred) garage floor paint. It will come with instructions about cleaning the floor before use. Do exactly what it says. The results are directly related to how well you prep the floor. Any failure here means the paint will fail.

Not all that hard, but many people like to take short cuts and that means a poor job. They then like to blame the product.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I think the stuff is called Dura-coat. It's a rubberized paint with less prep and far less odor, from what I read. I've lost the link but if I find it I'll post to your e-mail.

Reply to
C & M

I found one of their post-card mailers - decide to post here and hope it's not a violation of any kind. Dura-Coat from "Protect Your Surface" in Lindenhurst, NY. I bought a couple of gallons but haven't used it yet so I can't actually vouch for it. (Phone # 1-800-790-2572)

Reply to
C & M

I just got a mailer from them too.

Reply to
FDR

check out the Progressive Epoxy Polymers site at

for lots of different floor coating options.

It could be anywhere from a 1 coat system to a 7 coat system with options all along the way.

paul

check out the site

for lots of different floor coating options.

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Reply to