Sunken driveway

My mother's house is 55 yrs. old.
Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why.
Maybe it is the water supply from the city ?
As in the void from the water supply ?
My mother's house is 55 yrs. old.
Her driveway has sunken and I am wondering why.
Maybe it is the water supply from the city ?
As in the void from the water supply ?

The driveway was probably installed over a poorly prepared base like the half assed grading common to many new subdivisions. Over time it has compacted, especially if they used trash in the fill, another common mistake. Your options are a) tear it up and do it right or b) get someone to probe the surrounding soil for voids and then tear it up and do it over. Whichever, good luck.
Joe

Possible. Same with a broken sewer line. Or, just some underground water movement from heavy rains over time.
Andy wrote:

Now you know what to get her for Christmas. A jack hammer. So you get a concrete saw and cut nice smooth lines and tear out the sunken part, dig a little and find out why it settled, fix it, back fill it properly, form up, and call Mr. Redix Mix. A nice Sunday afternoon project.
message

It's called settling of the earth. Even humans start to settle downward after 55 years.
Or less.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com