Sump pump for temporary use

My parents live in a house with a full cellar. They have a drain channel around the edge of the cellar, and a sump pump.

About once a year, the sump dies, or the discharge line clogs. and so they have an inch of water in the cellar. This most recent time, Dad went out to buy another sump pump (the day after the five inch rain). He had the old one sitting for a year, he could have bought one any day before that.

Got the sump, and then find out that the discharge line was clogged. Went to plan B, which is put a flex hose out the window, and pump the water into the cleanout hole in the front yard. But the cleanout plug was stuck, and so that didn't do.

Plan C was to run the hose across the yard and out to the street, put the water into the storm drain on the street. Hose was too short for that, and the water makes a puddle in the front yard. And comes back through the cellar wall.

I've been considering getting a sump pump of some kind, and then adapt it to discharge through garden hose. I've got 100 feet of garden hose. And Dad has some, also.

With the inch of water, I did some numbers and figure there were about 1,000 galons. Figuring a 40 x 40 cellar. The question is if anyone else out there has made such a rig. Is garden hose large enough to discharge? Is smooth sided garden hose better than the ribbed hose they sell at the store for sump discharge? The ribbed hose is larger, but the ribs would slow down the water.

How long would it take to move 1,000 galons of water the 7 feet up and 75 feet from the house to the street?

Or is there some other answer that I'm missing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chris you are an HVAC pro, right! You know the basic principles of diameter and capacity and flow , right! Well I dont, but to pump out of a garden hose you wont get much capacity and I think will overwork-overheat the pump that is designed for 1.5"- 2" pipe. I think you need a pump designed for garden hose , proper head hight and hose length. Or you may be asking for trouble wih the pump and flow. Ck Grainger, or

Zoeller makes only pumps of most every type.

Reply to
m Ransley

The pump should have specifications at the gpm it can pump at a given head. Big is better and the ribbed stuff may be better than smaller smooth. The hose should be near the size of the pump outlet.Short term, it is probably not a big deal, long term, it can cause premature wearing of the pump. Seven feet is not very high. We have a couple of them pumping over 20 feet.

If the sump pump is in a sump and working properly you will never had an inch of water. That is the purpose of the trench, to drain the water to a sump.

It would be a good idea to run the pump every month or two to clear the drain. Just pour in a few gallons of water and let it go. Not seen, it is easy to neglect an emergency pump, light, etc, until it is needed and does not work.

It should pump out that inch of water in a short time. At 10 ft. head pumps can range from 10 to 40 gpm. So a half hour is respectable. Longer with a restricted outlet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Get a big (like 2") canvas hose (think fire hose), that rolls up when not in use.

Reply to
John Hines

Specifically Northern tools pn 50621 2"x50' for $37

John Hines

The pump should have specifications at the gpm it can pump at a given head. SM: Yes, it does.

Big is better and the ribbed stuff may be better than smaller smooth. The hose should be near the size of the pump outlet.Short term, it is probably not a big deal, long term, it can cause premature wearing of the pump. SM: Right, wouldn't run a small hose every day.

Seven feet is not very high. We have a couple of them pumping over 20 feet. SM: OK, good to know.

If the sump pump is in a sump and working properly you will never had an inch of water. That is the purpose of the trench, to drain the water to a sump. SM: Or if he had some kind of alarm, or backup sump. I keep mentioning this, but he keeps not doing it.

It would be a good idea to run the pump every month or two to clear the drain. Just pour in a few gallons of water and let it go. Not seen, it is easy to neglect an emergency pump, light, etc, until it is needed and does not work. SM: It also handles the discharge from the washing machine, so this isn't an issue.

It should pump out that inch of water in a short time. At 10 ft. head pumps can range from 10 to 40 gpm. So a half hour is respectable. Longer with a restricted outlet. SM: Yes, you're right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've made a couple calls. One FD says they are replacing hose in a "couple weeks" and will call back. The other says next spring, and they toss it right in the dumpster. And won't call me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I did see that, but am trying to operate on zero budget.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon