Suggestions on new washing machine

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
    I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.
Thanks for your time
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:33:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Fisher and Paykel
http://www.fisherpaykel.com /
You won't have to worry about fixing it after only 5 or 10 years, either.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I just got the new Consumer Reports Buying Guide, and it ranks Fisher & Paykel next to the bottom among top loaders:
Percentage of failures for top loaders bought from 2002-2006::
Roper (by Whirlpool): 7% General Electric: 9% Frigidaire: 10% Sears Kenmore (mostly Whirlpool): 10% Whirlpool: 10% Maytag: 12% Fisher & Paykel: 15% Amana: 15% Kitchenaid: 18%
Percentage of failures for front loaders bought from 2002-2006:
Whirlpool: 9% General Electric: 10% Sears Kenmore: 10% Frigidaire: 12% Maytag: 19%

I saw that in CR as well.... strange as there should be less parts in an FP top loader so less problems?
But maybe not. Anyway it gave me pause abt buying an FP unit!!
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 02:06:29 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"

Sounds extremely like CR fudge to me. How did they arrive at these numbers? What was the source of the data? I can remember CR rating two VCR's that were completely identical (and off the same assembly line) except for some minor cosmetics. One was rated best and one was rated worst. They even praised certain features on one and panned them on the other.
Fisher Paykel is not some "new kid on the block" except maybe in the US. They have been around for a long time, and are highly regarded worldwide.

I was the unfortunate owner of a set of Kenmore front loader washing machine. the thing shook so bad that I could never get it to spin without vibration. The main seal finally went out of it so I took it to steel scrap yard!!
I probably wont buy a front loader ever again
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

As a point of interest, all new top loaders are being held to the same energy and water use standards as front loaders. That means that for the time being, you will not find a top loader that can clean as well as a front loader...
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

That's simply nonsense.
On Dec 4, 8:31 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I saw something of a study showing front loaders don't clean as well as top loader. However, they were being quite critical about stain removal. Stains should be removed ahead of time anyway.
Have been using a front loader (the cheapest Frigidaire) for more than five years and I am sold on it because I think is is much easier on clothing.

what model is it?
My Kenmore didn't last but 7 years...and it was made by Frigidaire

Me, too, and we have the Frigidaire Gallery. Works great, washes a lot of clothes, and cleans the big comforters, too. In fact, I need to go check the laundry right now!
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:33:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

It's hard to beat a Whirlpool top loader. The damn things are bulletproof

That what I'm buying.... Whirlpool top loader.
Any advice on what model to get tho? Or will even the cheapest Whirlpool top loaders work OK and LAST?
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 09:53:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

They are all basically the same mechanics, the difference is in drum size, drum coatings and how fancy the timer is. I like the ones with knobs because the touch pad is probably going to be the first thing to fail.

OK..... kind of what I "thought" but needed confirmed

Any advice on what drum coating to get?
I'm single and live alone....so minimal use/stress on a washer
When I moved into my home, the last people left an old washing machine. A Whirlpool. This was in 1994, and they said it just needed a $65 part, but they didn't want to fix it, but they were taking the dryer. I found the motor needed oil, and it's still in use today. I really like whirlpool. They later came out with a model that uses a direct drive coupler, mine uses a belt. And the direct drive couplers tend to break, but are relatively easy to replace. I've dried my clothes with an indoor clothes line all these years.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

< snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Washing machines are free on Craigslist.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

model. They love it, pack it with a ton of blue jeans or steam delicate stuff. When powered on, it looks like a NASA control panel :o) I noticed when I did some laundry at their house that one printed t-shirt was missing the metallic part of the screen-printed decoration, but it may have worn off earlier and I had not noticed. I have wanted a front-loader for a long time but hubby isn't convinced. Our dryer is probably terminal, but the old Maytag just won't die. :o)

LG's look nice... but they are PRICEY!