Suggestions on new washing machine

Hello,

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2 years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.

Thanks for your time

Reply to
nick

Fisher and Paykel

You won't have to worry about fixing it after only 5 or 10 years, either.

Reply to
salty

I was the unfortunate owner of a set of Kenmore front loader washing machine. the thing shook so bad that I could never get it to spin without vibration. The main seal finally went out of it so I took it to steel scrap yard!!

I probably wont buy a front loader ever again

Reply to
me

As a point of interest, all new top loaders are being held to the same energy and water use standards as front loaders. That means that for the time being, you will not find a top loader that can clean as well as a front loader...

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

It's hard to beat a Whirlpool top loader. The damn things are bulletproof

Reply to
gfretwell

When I moved into my home, the last people left an old washing machine. A Whirlpool. This was in 1994, and they said it just needed a $65 part, but they didn't want to fix it, but they were taking the dryer. I found the motor needed oil, and it's still in use today. I really like whirlpool. They later came out with a model that uses a direct drive coupler, mine uses a belt. And the direct drive couplers tend to break, but are relatively easy to replace. I've dried my clothes with an indoor clothes line all these years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's simply nonsense.

Reply to
salty

Washing machines are free on Craigslist.

Reply to
HeyBub

My daughter and son-in-law have an LG front-loader, don't know the model. They love it, pack it with a ton of blue jeans or steam delicate stuff. When powered on, it looks like a NASA control panel :o) I noticed when I did some laundry at their house that one printed t-shirt was missing the metallic part of the screen-printed decoration, but it may have worn off earlier and I had not noticed. I have wanted a front-loader for a long time but hubby isn't convinced. Our dryer is probably terminal, but the old Maytag just won't die. :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I saw something of a study showing front loaders don't clean as well as top loader. However, they were being quite critical about stain removal. Stains should be removed ahead of time anyway.

Have been using a front loader (the cheapest Frigidaire) for more than five years and I am sold on it because I think is is much easier on clothing.

Reply to
Rich256

what model is it?

My Kenmore didn't last but 7 years...and it was made by Frigidaire

Reply to
me

That what I'm buying.... Whirlpool top loader.

Any advice on what model to get tho? Or will even the cheapest Whirlpool top loaders work OK and LAST?

Reply to
me

LG's look nice... but they are PRICEY!

Reply to
me

They do a fabulous job. My only complaint is that the washer takes 50-70 minutes to do a wash. It's weird having a washer that takes longer than the dryer. I make up for it by doing huge loads.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

They are all basically the same mechanics, the difference is in drum size, drum coatings and how fancy the timer is. I like the ones with knobs because the touch pad is probably going to be the first thing to fail.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, I've priced them. Both kids work, so being able to do a ton of wash at one time is probably good.

Reply to
Norminn

front loaders save water, sewage and energy, but cost so much more than top loaders they will never in their lifespan save any real money since they cost so much more......

just compare the purcase cost of front load vs top load, then add in much higher repair costs of front loaders......

drum bearing fails, need new drum bearing part of assembly, 500 bucks installed

Reply to
hallerb

Keep your old Maytag and repair it at all costs when needed....I can't comment on the Maytag washers after they were bought out by Whirlpool but the ones prior to the buyout are complete trash. I would have paid $1000 now to repair our old Maytag's transmission when it went.

Reply to
nick

Do a search for the LE error and you will see quite a few people have seen this, some have fixed it by just unplugging the machine, others had to have parts replaced to fix it. Someone posted that everyone will see this problem, it's only a matter of when.

Reply to
nick

OK..... kind of what I "thought" but needed confirmed

Reply to
me