Stymied by trying to remove a fluidmaster

I'm a pretty handy guy, but this nonsense has got me stumped.
I'm changing out an old fluidmaster from my tank for a new one. The damn plastic nut will not loosen (yes, I know how to loosen a nut, duh). When I try to loosen it, the fluidmaster body and the braided hose turn also. Trying to hold the fluidmaster body in place is impossible because the bottom portion of the body 'ratchets' and does not bottom out. How do I got this thing off?
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:30:33 -0800, Abe wrote:

sawsall?

Naaah. Dremel.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:39:13 -0800, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote:

Or a hacksaw blade
what color is the plastic body?

let's try it again
if the plastic is red / brown the whole upper body removes with a pushdown and twist
if the body is gray hold the column at the base with a vicegrips as the lower tube is adjustable in height for differing toilet depths