stump grinding

I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep, and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway. Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.
Jeff08171972 wrote:

He is right. Normally they would not be ground down more than a few inches from original grade anyway.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Jeff:
J > I'm having some trees removed, and the guy taking them down mentioned J > that since the trees are in wells that are about 6 to 10 inches deep, J > and I'll be filling them in with loam, I woulsn't need to grind the J > stumps (since they only go about 6 to 10 inches below grade anyway. J > Sound right? I want to plant some new trees in the area, and I'm J > unsure how they would grow so close to the old stumps.
Joseph's response is correct, or the same as what they did here and the neighbours': grind to a few inches below grade. The only problem you may have is the dirt over the trunk and huge roots may collapse, leaving a slight depression. I would fill to grade after the fact, not prior.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Not Quites: The Good, the Bad, and the Homely.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971