stuck kit skink strainer

Can't unscrew the ring that secures the strainer to the counter. Have tried the "standard" method of pliers ends in strainer holes from above & whatever-the-name-is of that plumbing specialty tool to "grab" and twist the ring's lugs - won't budge. Have tried to "lock" pliers into position with adj. wrench at 90 degrees (wrench end against sink wall so it won't move). No luck. Strainer slowly spun when attempted unscrew w/o pliers, so removed rubber gasket in hope that WD40 could penetrate. Still no luck.
Next planned attack is to try a heat gun to ring. Anything other ideas before getting something like a Dremel tool to cut the ring off?

tried
the
removed
Have you tried looking below the sink to see how it's attached?
TakenEvent wrote:

Now you stop that! Don't give the easy answer first, wait until someone suggests a hydraulically actuated, pneumatic driven, gas-powered (can't use electric near plumbing) strainer eradicator.

Right now that sounds exactly like what I need. But the only one within 200 mi is in use by the feds... :-)
TakenEvent wrote:

Have you tried reading the OP carefully enough to see he's already located a ring with lugs under the sink?
To the OP: I'd go for it with with the Dremel, less chance of a tool slipping loose under heavy pressure and scratching or breaking something. (Wear eye protection...)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Diane wrote:

??? To the COUNTER???
Have tried

Penetrating oil is good, looking to see if threads are full of plumber's putty or other corrosion and cleaning up if so would be good.
Doubt if a heat gun would be hot enough to make much if any difference. I'd try heavy screwdriver or punch/dull chisel and hammer for impact wrench effect.
Also, just as a question, sure you're trying to turn the right direction if looking at it from the top???

Does give one strange images, doesn't it? :-) Of course I meant to the bottom of the sink.
----------

That's what I thought. Guessing the ring has been on for almost 40 years.

Tried that too.

Good idea, but verified direction with replacement multiple times...
Diane wrote:

I'm still trying to get past the image of straining 'skinks' and the question of what you do with them after they are strained.
Harry K

You add oregano & basil, simmer them for an hour and serve over pasta.
The energy expenditure and frustration of this stuck ring must have *really* impaired my typing and proof-reading. Heaven help me when I go back to finish this next week. And all of this just because the chrome has worn off & a replacement would look better... :-)
Diane