Structure/drive over Gas line

What are the requirements in most areas for having a driveway that is over a protion of a gas line.

Also if wanting to have a small stroage building with concrete floor over where gas line to house is, Do I need to have it moved ? I am assuming would be best to do so.

Reply to
MC

I can't imagine that it is a huge problem, there are gas lines under our street. The best bet would be to call your local gas company and ask them if you are concerned.

Reply to
Tracey

I'd suggest asking your local gas utility.

As for where the driveway crosses, it depends on depth of the line and material it's made of. For a building, it might be a code violation to have a buried utility (gas, water, electric, etc.) running under it. Your gas utility should know the answer to this, too.

--Jon

Reply to
Jon

We just had a gas line moved. From talking to the folks who did it and the gas company people, it is okay to run gas lines under sidewalks, driveways and such but NOT okay to run them under slabs or footings for buildings.

As others have suggested, it's best to contact your utility for local variations/restrictions.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos