Stone wall cement effects

My house is over 130 years old and the cement bonding the stone is finished with an effect that I can't find any info on. The cement between the stone is raised out and then finished almost perfectly square. I need to repair a stone column at the end of the driveway and want to recreate that effect but I can't find a tool to do it. I'm thinking I could probably cut a square notch out of a piece of aluminum and run that along the raised joints to simulate the look but I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if they know what I'm talking about and if there is a proper tool for doing this?

thanx Ian

Reply to
Ian

Many masons make many of their own tools for special finishes or treatments. Steel pallet banding is often bent and stuck on a stick to scratch faux brick into stucco or used to make similar relief designs.

Experiment with homemade tools and you will probably find something you can use that works best for you.

J.P.

Reply to
TinMan1332

I am not familiar with a square struck mortar. It is more normal to see a rounded joint. Here is a source for a jointer for makeing the rounded joints:

the one at
give you some ideas for making one for the square joints.

Hope this might help.

#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

Ian wrote:

Reply to
Dan G