stiple ceilings

I have painted a few and scraped a few,water takes it off so I always use oil base paint.Now I hear you can use latex on original stiple with the metal flakes.Please tell me what to do,
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:09:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

base paint.Now I hear you can use latex on original stiple with the metal flakes.Please tell me what to do,
Its ugly. Scrape it off.

That's an easy answer. Then you have to deal with what's under it. In my kitchen the plaster would need a skim coat before it could be repainted. Of course, there's no metal in mine, just a circular design in the stipple and "flower bursts" around the light fixtures.
I don't find it ugly at all, but SWMBO considers it "tolerable".