water pump stops drawing water in few hours

I have a water pump which draws water from a creek to irrigate the lawn. It had run for four months without problems. Starting last week, I notice that the pump would draw water for few hours only. Then, it would stop drawing, though still running, water. I turn off the pump, wait till the next morning, turn on the pump, and it would work for few hours before stopping drawing water again.

What could be the problem?

Reply to
Jerry Salinsky

Has the water level in the creek changed?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Centrifugal pump? Wild ass guess is it heats up and starts sucuking air past the seal leading to cavitation. Is it noisy when it stops flowing?

rbowman

NO. I don't see change of water level.

Reply to
Jerry Salinsky

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

There is not much noise though.

Reply to
Jerry Salinsky

Is it plugging? Maybe some sort of screen would help.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Pumps do go bad. Was it running when turned off? Years ago I had a well pump go bad, pumping intermittently or not coming on. Plumber found it was drawing twice the current it should and replaced it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable