stihl weed eater

I have a Stihl weed eater that was stalling a lot. I was ready to trash it until I found out it was the spark arrester that needed cleaning. After a thorough cleaning of the spark arrester, it now works great.

So what is a spark arrester and what is its purpose? It was located in the muffler.

Thanks

Reply to
newman

The spark arrester is a little screen bout like a window screen. Its purpose is to prevent sparks that make there way thur the muffler to make it out, and create a fire.

Reply to
brian

It's a bogus little screen that the stihl rep will tell you never clogs. Everytime we would buy a new trimmer, the screen was clogged within a week. It even happens with properly mixed fuel. It's caused by lugging the trimmer. Our crews tend to run the string out about 14-18 inches, and then the engine never gets wound up real good. Take the screen, grab it with some needledick pliers yank it out and throw it away. It just another government control.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Yeah. I talked to a factory guy, and was told that these engines are meant to run either idle or wide-open, nothing between. Along the same line: lot of ppl (including me) run them at half-throttle a lot of the time. Apparently, not good.

George

Reply to
George