stihl weed eater

I have a Stihl weed eater that was stalling a lot. I was ready to trash it until I found out it was the spark arrester that needed cleaning. After a thorough cleaning of the spark arrester, it now works great.
So what is a spark arrester and what is its purpose? It was located in the muffler.
Thanks

The spark arrester is a little screen bout like a window screen. Its purpose is to prevent sparks that make there way thur the muffler to make it out, and create a fire.
It's a bogus little screen that the stihl rep will tell you never clogs. Everytime we would buy a new trimmer, the screen was clogged within a week. It even happens with properly mixed fuel. It's caused by lugging the trimmer. Our crews tend to run the string out about 14-18 inches, and then the engine never gets wound up real good. Take the screen, grab it with some needledick pliers yank it out and throw it away. It just another government control.
--
Steve Barker

"newman" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
On Sat, 5 May 2007 21:29:03 -0500, "Steve Barker"

Yeah. I talked to a factory guy, and was told that these engines are meant to run either idle or wide-open, nothing between. Along the same line: lot of ppl (including me) run them at half-throttle a lot of the time. Apparently, not good.
George
Its a device so the dumb home owner has to take his machine in for repair if he's not mechanically inclined Opps Its a device to keep from throwing sparks out the exhaust to prevent forest fires. You can have the same trouble with the exhaust ports getting plugged. If they do just clean with a dowel rod. Id dump the factory oil and switch to Optic -2 synthetic oil http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-2.htm I been using it in all my two cycle stuff for years smokeless, no carbon build up, and burns clean. I love it comes in premixed 1 gallon packets