Steel Roof Versus Asphalt Shingle

Page 2 of 2

That's what I saw on a few newer houses. I was not sure how that worked. Just curious. Do you have any idea what your friend had to pay per square? Like I said, the barn steel is about double the price of the shingles (for materials only). I have a feeling the stuff you are talking about is much more costly.
The metal sold around here is sometimes a little higher than asphalt but can sometimes get almost the same price in places and depending on what type there is. The older fashion 5V metal is the cheapest but not as good except for barns. We got a batch somewhere in Alabama a couple of years ago to put on a building, can not remember where but found it advertised in one of the farmers advertisements my brother has. Sometime your local farm supply can lead you to a cheaper source ?
Anyway what he paid was more expensive, Seems it was several dollars per liner foot installed ?
He moved and I do not have a new number yet so can not ask at the moment.
MC

The stuff I got is stone covered steel that looks like tile. Most people who look at it have a hard time believing it is steel. My neighbor after seeing how well mine was holding up put on some that looks like shake. As I said in a previous post my home owners insurance was lowered by 28% due to the shingles.
Since then several houses in the area have put on the Gerard roof.
These views show how they overlap. Nailed on the overlap edge.
http://www.gerardusa.com/shake-roofing.htm
http://www.gerardusa.com/images/color_swatches/Chestnut_shake.jpg

I am the OP.
Thanks to all the thread contributors for all the insight, suggestions and links!