steam radiator valve ?

Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer run? Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often here in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and Heattimer "varivalve" models. Thanks for the input.
anonomous wrote:

And you want to replace the air vent?
Some info here: http://www.bellgossett.com/Press/balancing.html
Good luck
Jim

The valve or the vent? Is the rad not heating up well(fast enough)?
Hi:
From what I can tell, the boiler is on for about 15-20 minutes and it takes about 5 minutes for the steam to reach my rads. there are Hoffman 43's on all of them, and I would bet the whole buildings rads have the same. From what I gather, my rads should have larger vents. I can get an adjustable Hoffman or Maid o Mist or Gorton valves that have a larger vent. What would you recommend?
Thanks.
Ben

The vent on a steam system is designed to let the cold air out then make a seal. If you have steam pouring out of it, the system needs work and is wasting energy. If the system is sealed properly and you wanted more heat you could put a fan near the radiator. A vacumm pump on a sealed system can lower the boiling point of water and save some energy.
Tom
Wrong overall. Not bad, how does it seal? Tell me more about the vacuum.
<Trekking Tom> wrote in message

anonomous wrote:

You may have to convince the bldg super to increase the differential on the controlling thermostat so the boiler runs longer.
As for changing the vent, I don't have a brand preference, but if you can find one with larger capacity, try it.
And a small fan blowing thru the 'vector may aid heat transfer. Jim

Thanks for the feedback. Since the super isnt installing different vents depending on rad location, I doubt he will have the boiler on longer, especially if I am the only one complaining. I will install larger vents and the fan sounds like a good idea. If these don't do the trick, I will open up my mouth. It would be ridiculous to pay my own electricity for space heaters to suppliment what I should be entitled to.
thanks again

There may be a problem with the main line steam vents. They should be sized depending on the steam load connected to each main.
Stretch