steam radiator valve ?

This is a single-pipe steam system??

And you want to replace the air vent?

Some info here:

Good luck

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi all. I hope I am in the right forum. I just moved into an apartment building, and am on the top floor. Needless to say, the valves on my convector are old and I think undersized for the location. The super only has 1 size. Should I buy my own, specifically designed for the longer run? Any ideas about manufacturers? Hoffman is one that is used quite often here in NY, but I have seen several other brands such as Maid o Mist and Heattimer "varivalve" models. Thanks for the input.

anonomous

The valve or the vent? Is the rad not heating up well(fast enough)?

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi:

From what I can tell, the boiler is on for about 15-20 minutes and it takes about 5 minutes for the steam to reach my rads. there are Hoffman 43's on all of them, and I would bet the whole buildings rads have the same. From what I gather, my rads should have larger vents. I can get an adjustable Hoffman or Maid o Mist or Gorton valves that have a larger vent. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Reply to
anonomous

The vent on a steam system is designed to let the cold air out then make a seal. If you have steam pouring out of it, the system needs work and is wasting energy. If the system is sealed properly and you wanted more heat you could put a fan near the radiator. A vacumm pump on a sealed system can lower the boiling point of water and save some energy.

Tom

Reply to
Trekking Tom

You may have to convince the bldg super to increase the differential on the controlling thermostat so the boiler runs longer.

As for changing the vent, I don't have a brand preference, but if you can find one with larger capacity, try it.

And a small fan blowing thru the 'vector may aid heat transfer. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the feedback. Since the super isnt installing different vents depending on rad location, I doubt he will have the boiler on longer, especially if I am the only one complaining. I will install larger vents and the fan sounds like a good idea. If these don't do the trick, I will open up my mouth. It would be ridiculous to pay my own electricity for space heaters to suppliment what I should be entitled to.

Reply to
anonomous

There may be a problem with the main line steam vents. They should be sized depending on the steam load connected to each main.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Wrong overall. Not bad, how does it seal? Tell me more about the vacuum.

Reply to
HeatMan