Starting Generator

If it has been sitting for a long time the fuel turns to a jelly like substance which often clogs the carburetor jets and causes the carburetor float to stick in the closed position. If you are able, try opening the carb and cleaning it. If it's a stuck float, sometimes a sharp bang on the side of it will free it

Reply to
RBM

Has it been sitting a while with gas in the carb? More than likely the fuel passages in the carb are gummed up. Disassemble the carb and clean out all the fine passages with carb cleaner.

To avoid in the future, don't use the kill switch to stop the genny. Turn off the gas and let it run until it uses up all the fuel in the bowl and carb. And consider using Stabil in the gas.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I've got a Homeline generator with a 8 hp B&S engine. I've been trying to get the engine started but have not had luck. I've drained the old gas and replaced. It's getting spark. When I take the air filter off and spray engine starting fluid, the engine cranks up but seems to shut right back down. I've got oil in it. Any suggestions? TIA

Reply to
Bob Amend

Some generators have a low oil shutoff. Make sure the oil is full -- so that the dipstick shows the oil to the full line. Might want to change the oil, drain the old out and fill it up. My 10 HP generator took 28 ounces. I threw in the full quart, and it ran fine.

The generator was a champ until it wouldn't start one time. A "helpful" neighbor of my Dad's sprayed ether into the spark plug hole. Dried the oil out of the cylinder, and siezed it up. Ether is OK if sprayed onto the air filter. Which I've done as needed over the years. Ether in the spark plug hole is instant death.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Speaking of turning off the gas, did you make sure the fuel valve is open?

Reply to
Bob Vaughan