Stairs - What to do after tearing up carpet?

First time poster here, I was curious what people think I should do with my basement steps.
Basically the carpet was old, and smelled terrible + had pet stains from many years so we decided to tear it up. Of course there was padding glued to the steps, so getting the rubber/glue off of the steps has been a real pain. I've resorted to using multiple sanders (any suggestions here would be great).
Now I'm wondering what we should do with the steps. They are older, potentially original to the house (1925) but they are quite sturdy. They definitely show wear as the middle is a little worn down. Sanding to get it completely level would be near impossible.
I'm curious if people think I should continue to sand and then potentially paint the steps? Or if maybe I should just cut these treads out (through the middle, then pull out as they are nailed from the sides) and purchase new ones? They are 1" x 9" x 35"
Any suggestions would be welcome! Here is a picture of the steps now:
[image:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15806454/forums/stairs.JPG ]
(Note: our basement is finished, so something semi nice heh)
--
ootoaoo

use belt sander to clean steps, then use multiple coats of outdoor polyurethane to elminate odors...
my rubber stair treads were very slippery, so i painted the steps and got rid of the treads forever., my basement is a mostly unfinished shop so appearance isnt a big issue
why not re carpet the steps? that makes them very quiet......
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:21:41 +0000, ootoaoo

Cover them with laminate or engineer hardwood. You can buy the bullnose molding for it for a nice finished look.
Last one down on the page. http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Hardwood/Hardwood%20Moldings.aspx

I've used Luan on the risers with a poly finish. If you can sand the step, prep it with oxyclean, will remove stains and odors. Takes a couple wet dry applications. Then finish as needed.
Greg

If you do paint the stairs, there is a sand mixture you can mix with the paint to make it non-slip.

You could cover them with one of the options shown here...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/stair-tread-covers-and-nosings/facility-safety/safety/ecatalog/N-ijo
ootoaoo wrote:

Put back new carpet.
--

dadiOH

if odor elmination is the goal then sand everything, outdoor poly several coats let dry well then re carpet....
odors gone
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:21:41 +0000, ootoaoo

Old doesn't matter. My brother-in-law was asked to bid on new carpeting for step in the Egyptian pyramids.
Earlier, he sold pink flocked carpeting to the US Senate.