Stain Removal (tomato sauce) On Rubbermaid Plastic Containers ?

Hello,

Anyone happen to know what, if anything, will remove tomato sauce discoloring of the typical Rubbermaid (semi-rigid) plastic food containers ?

Are there any particularly good stain removal sites ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

That is a tough one and impossible if you have microwaved in them.

If a 10% Clorox to water soak for an hour won't do it nothing will.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If the stains are relatively new **AND** if they're not the result of microwaving tomato products in those containers, placing them in the sun often helps get rid of the stains.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ours was like that, disgusting to say the least. Was at BJ warehouse, seen

20 Glad brand w/lids of various size for $9.95. Grabbed a pack, came home & tossed most of the others out. Did keep a few for nuts/bolts. The real disgusting ones are gone anyways. For $10, it's not worth messing around with the old ones.
Reply to
Larry Wheeler

Can't be done. Try these instead of eating plastic.

RicodJour

organic stains on plastic - use chlorine bleach.

Reply to
clare

I'd rather eat a few outgassing hydrocarbon molecules than pick pyrex gravel out of my feet after dropping a glass fridge box. (I don't wear shoes inside- most of the year I don't even wear socks.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

So, don't drop glass.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Really. I wonder if he's also eliminated all glass condiment, beer, olives, etc., etc., etc. glass jars from his kitchen...house?

RicodJour

Mostly, yes. What can I say- I have poor depth perception and am a bit of a klutz, besides. I use thickwall coffee mugs for drinking, and plastic plates and salad bowls. My Corning ware soup bowls have handles. Stuff in fridge tends to be more of a problem than elsewhere, since the condensation on the glass makes it slippery, but small condiment/olive jars are rather hard to break- they usually bounce on the vinyl floor. Can't drink beer anymore, but when I did, I preferred cans. I do have normal drinking glasses and pretty china plates and stuff, but other than the very occasional times company comes over, they basically sit in the cabinet.

-- aem sends, blurrily....

Reply to
aemeijers

I have my peccadillos as well, but I don't know that I would give other "normal" people adviced based on my peccadillos.

In a way, you're accepting ingesting something you can't do anything about and forgoing something you can prevent by being reasonably careful.

Besides, everyone knows the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. Keep the glassware out of the bathroom and you're good to go. ;)

RicodJour

"Colbyt" wrote in news:UeqdnYsdPr_HClvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

soak in a HOT solution of automatic dishwasher detergent and water.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I picked up a metal coffee mug in the camping section of Walmart. One of those blue, enameled things. So far I haven't noticed any bad effects from ingesting the chips from the enamel...

Reply to
HeyBub

No haven't noticed their effect on you, but we have.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

excuse l/c; typing one-handed; broke wrist.

re: glass vs plastic, i have converted to glass. too many toxic probs with plastic.

keep a few plastic containers for inert items; no cooking.

bed, bath and beyond has good glass containers w/ very tight-fitting pastic lids that need not touch food, but do keep contents fresh.

they are rectangular, which makes for economy of space, and come in several sizes.

i have no connection w/store other than as customer.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Better this: Rubbermaid makes food-storage covered-box things -- tomatoes RUIN them. But they have a (sub)-brand "StainShield", and by golly, it is IMMUNE to tomato stuff.

They're in the plastic-storage-things aisle of the supermarket.

David

Reply to
David Combs

To the OP: try using "Bartenders Friend" available at Lowes, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, and other retail and internet stores. Works like a charm on tomato sauce stained sinks, also.

Reply to
shellyfDELETE

replying to aemeijers, Norma N. wrote: I despise it when people jump all over someone for a comment they make. They may not know the total picture. Plus it is so disgusting to read four letter words anywhere in public messages where anyone can see them. Shows that person was not raised right and has no class!

Reply to
Norma N.

Have you kept this anger bottled up for the 6+ years it took you to respond?

You should have let it out sooner. You probably have an ulcer by now.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to Norma N., ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote: Welllll, what gets my goat is when certain people (Norma) reply to a nearly *_7 year old post_* and then want to get indignant over a perceived slight in a post where there is no slight or 'four letter words.'

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoAnn