Squirrels = 3 vs. Me = 0

Page 1 of 2
Squirrels in the attic!
I'm using two traps. One is for a "small squirrel " Its very sensitive, I closed one end and put corn and peanut butter at the closed end. They got at the corn last night and triggered the trap but they were not in it. I'm guessing they are to big, the door closed on their but and didn't lock down and they were able to back out of the trap. the door shut behind them when they got out???
The other trap is a large old rusty one I borrowed. Its about 14" x 12" x 3 feet long. I hung an apple in the trap and covered the trap with a cloth because they were getting at the apple from the outside (I think?) They keep eating at the apple but not triggering the trap. I tried adjusting the trap to make it more sensitive but still no luck.
I think the small trap wont work so I'm trying one more thing with the large trap. I cut a piece of plywood slightly smaller than the floor of the trap. I rest the board on the trigger plate creating a ramp the squirrel will have to walk on to enter the trap and get to the back of the trap where the bait is. This wont allow the squirrel to step over the trigger and the extra weight of the board will make the trap more sensitive...
I set this up before coming to work this morning, I'll see when I get home...
I haven't found their entry yet! I'm going up on the roof tonight to check around the chimney...
Sr
Are you sure these are squirrels, and not just mice instead? Mice can make an awful lot of noise, and a squirrel-sized trap won't do much for a mouse. Even if you once saw a squirrel, that may have just been a one time incident followed by a mouse infestation.
Otherwise, I can't help you...
-Kevin
i trapped suirrells in a havahart trap so my granddaughter can look at em .i smear peanut butter on the trigger flap and put some corn on the floor just beyond the peanut butter.you have to set the hook so its jusbarley holding the door.lucas
I think the comment by another poster about mice is probably the answer. I've used ordinary rabbit traps before, and they worked every time. I was using some old wood traps, which they can chew up pretty fast, so I "fed" them (left bait in the trap with the trap not set) during the day, and then set the trap when I was ready to leave to a release location. Within a few minutes, I'd have one.
Bill

I've considered that it could be mice... BUT, the time I used an apple as bait, I had it tied about 1" from the top of the trap. A mouse would not have been able to reach it. I'm going to purchase a middle sized trap tonight and give that a try. I've also gotten some encouragement from a couple of web site devoted to the subject.
thanks
Sr

night
able
check

Yup, if that is your evidence of squirrels, then that pretty much convinces me: you have mice. Or rats.
Do some reading about mice. They can get through the most amazingly small holes (think: nickle sized and smaller), can jump amazingly far and high, and can easily climb vertical or overhung or upside-down surfaces. And they make a racket, too. Go get yourself a $0.50 mouse trap, and forget the electrocution.

As an alternative to spring traps, I like the glue traps. They are cheap. They are disposable. You don't have to reset them, and once they are in there, they are stuck. The mice just scream a lot.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Nobody cares about your courting methods and how you trapped a mate.
Ahem. Anyone know if google groups is planning on allowing killfiles? That would be kind of nice sometimes.
-Kevin

The IGNORE button works good for me. If you don't feed a troll, they just move to another bridge. (newsgroup)
But, there are some good ones. Trouble is, they take time to manage. Make entries. Find out why someone you DO want to allow is being filtered, etc.
Simpler to just hit block sender in your reader. Or ignore what these twelve year old mental midgets have to say.
Steve
Yea, I know a normal news reader would usually have an "ignore" button, and sender blocking, and what not. These days I use google groups, b/c I have enough other software to deal with already. I'm just griping that google doesn't (yet) have any such features. Knowing google, and the data they have on hand, they could probably do something real sophisticated, too. Oh well.
-Kevin
kevin "The Software King" wrote:

Bullshit. You're a moron and that's why you use google groups. You're too lame to use a news reader. STFU goober...
gets results from an ISP, particularly where a juvenile is writing from a parent's computer. Usually, the moron just gets another ISP, but in a lot of cases, they are located where that is not possible, or they run out of ISPs. In some cases it does no good at all, and the spew increases.
Ignore works good.
Steve
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:37:18 -0700, kevin wrote:

Only a complete fucking moron posts from Google Groups. STFU and learn to use a newsreader application, doofus.
Linux Registered User #327951

H'mmm, I was just going to go and buy a havahart 1040 trap. It has two doors and I like the way the trip mechanism works better than the single door.
BUT, Maybe it is Mice??? The sounds we sometimes hear in the ceiling and walls are very loud!! I bought two large rat glue traps the other day. I think I'll put them up there tonight and see what happens. I'll have to anchor them somehow so I can retrieve the bastards.... I still think its Squirrels but I have no hard evidence.. I'll try spreading a little powder to see if I can see prints.
I also have a set of video surveillance cameras I inherited. Maybe I'll set one up to capture the action???
Thanks
Sr
:) I've considered that it could be mice... :) BUT, the time I used an apple as bait, I had it tied about 1" from the top :) of the trap. A mouse would not have been able to reach it. :) I'm going to purchase a middle sized trap tonight and give that a try. :) I've also gotten some encouragement from a couple of web site devoted to the :) subject. :) picture the mouse climbing the side of the cage then getting at the apple from the top, along with a vertical jump of over a foot...if the cage has openings as large as a quarter, rats could also escape the trap.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
snipped-for-privacy@comcastBUGS.net says...
:) :) I've considered that it could be mice... :) :) BUT, the time I used an apple as bait, I had it tied about 1" from the top :) :) of the trap. A mouse would not have been able to reach it. :) :) I'm going to purchase a middle sized trap tonight and give that a try. :) :) I've also gotten some encouragement from a couple of web site devoted to the :) :) subject. :) :) :) :) picture the mouse climbing the side of the cage then getting at the :) apple from the top, along with a vertical jump of over a foot...if the :) cage has openings as large as a quarter, rats could also escape the :) trap. :) You can also sift some flour or talcom around the trap and see what tracks show up.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
I like the electrical trap the one fellow came up with. It is made over a tub of water, maybe a five gallon container or a shallow pan like those used to bus dishes. When they are shocked, they go unconscious and fall in the water and drown. It uses a common fence electrifier.
Simple to make, does not require resetting, and if contact is made, ZAP, and the rodent is history.
Fi-Shock units available on the Internet for about $25.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

No doubt used by your gay parents as a disciplinary device during your upbringing.
Steve wrote:

Not completely OT, but I received this book as a gift a while ago and it's really a hoot.
http://tinyurl.com/bq9n9
About five years ago I converted the kids' old gumball machine into a squirrel feeder. It took the little bushy tailed roof rats less than a day to figure out how to crank it around to get themselves some dried corn.
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/nuts.jpg
(Last pix in the series is just a gag I lifted elsewhere.)
They chew up the wooden handle pretty good, I've had to replace it a couple of times already.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)