Squirrels in attic have gotten the best of me, so far!

I just cut back the tree that allowed them access to my roof, and they went away.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Unless they have wings, crawling would be my guess.

Reply to
G Hensley

Hey! Great fun in the attic!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes. Always aim down so you don't accidently put any holes in the roof...

Reply to
G Hensley

Maybe $80 bucks?

It appears you have provided them access to your attic by not keeping entries sealed. Always check that vents and such have SOLIDLY ATTACHED SCREENS. But, have patience, the trap will work. They took the bait once, they'll take it again.

Yes, your whole neighborhood is filled with squirls! Just like it was before you moved in. Drowning them just seems a bit over the top don't you think? There are many more where they came from. You should be angry at yourself for providing them the access in the first place. Learning to live with nature is a lot easier than you think. I kinda like the critters myself. Then again, I don't provide them access to my house.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

But they did save him from blowing holes through his house, in this case.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I can hear them up there. I'm guessing they are squirrels, I set out a large have a heart trap. about 3' x 1' x 10". I hung an apple above the trigger and they ate the whole apple. This is an old rusty trap I borrowed so I took it down and cleaned up the "friction" points and adjusted the catch slightly so it will be more sensitive. I'm not sure the squirrels are heavy enough to set it off? Also instead of letting the apple hang down a couple of inches I wired it tight up against the top of the trap right over the raised plate that will set it off. I also put a blanket over the trap so they cant get at the apple from the outside.

If I don't get them by this weekend I'm going to have to call a pro.... What do you think they will do? and what do you think they would charge???

If I get the bastards, the whole trap is going in a trash barrel filled with water!! Seems like the whole neighborhood is filled with squirrels!!!

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Sr

Reply to
Steve

Have you determined how they are getting in? That would be the first thing I would take care of.

Reply to
badgolferman

yea but he could have used some 22long shot shells. These wont go through the walls too easily put will take down the squirel with a well placed shot. Good only for 15 to 20 feet though. Can get a single shot Rossi for $80 no permit required, no course required. Whats an FID? Must be out of US or in Kalifornia.

Reply to
No

Can you say air rifle or .22 cal. rifle, boys and girls?

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1

I looked into that, $100 for the FID card plus taking a course on gun safety. Plus the cost of the gun....

Sr

Reply to
Steve

Be sure to thank the liberal gun-grabbing lobby in the state where you live for that waste of your time and your money ;-)

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1

In article , snipped-for-privacy@right.com says... :) If I don't get them by this weekend I'm going to have to call a pro.... :) What do you think they will do? and what do you think they would charge??? :) :) They will determine what you are dealing with and where they are getting in at....cost can depend on the service they do and the part of the country you are in. Cost can be as low as $50 or has much as $300

Reply to
Lar

Get some glue traps. Just be sure to anchor them down. You are still wasting your time if you don't find and close the holes they use to get in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do you have a hunting license? Is it squirrel season in your state? An exterminator cannot remove them. Call your local Game and Fish Commission (same as you would if a fawn or alligator fell in your swimming pool); they'll be delighted to come out, capture the animal, take it for a check-up, then release it into the wild.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, I must close their access. I dont want to close it up until I get them out. I thought they were using the soffetts because the screens were chewed out in a couple of them... I covered those with duct tape and expected to see them chew through it. The tape is still there after a few weeks... I didnt think to look at the other soffets, I'll bet they chewed through another one instead of through the sticky tape??? I'll check that when I get home.

I have a cat but its a pussy, maybe when its a little older but right now it just stares at them and twitches its ass...

As far as killing them, I mean our neigborhood is infested with squirrels!! Many more than usual. I found three dead ones in my swimming pool this year and I've never had that happen before. ( there are trees right along the side of my pool) I'll have no problem drowning them!!!

Sr

Reply to
Steve

The pro I called used peanut butter in his trap. We only caught one squirrel even though they always live in pairs (plus babies twice per year). After we closed up the access hole we used peanuts to verify they were all gone.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
W. Wells

Even with a permit/licence etc. it is generally illegal to discharge any fire arm within most city's limits even if it is inside your house. But if your neighbors are far away and you don't mind shooting your walls, go for it.

Seriously though, denying them access will solve this problem and any to come in the future. A few soffit vent covers, some caulk at some well chosen gaps and maybe some expanding foam shot into larger gaps that are hard to fill. A few years ago I injected expanding foam through holes drilled in the cieling into a particular impossible to reach gap in the attic to keep some birds out.

Reply to
PipeDown

Rat traps. Bait with string soaked in peanut butter. They can't just lick it off, and you can just dump the dead tree rat and re-c*ck the trap and go again without re-baiting.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner