Spray Paint a Cellphone

I have a basic prepaid cellphone. (Not a smart phone). It's black, and I'm constantly misplacing it, especially in the car. If it was a brighter color, it would be easier to find. It's a flip phone, so I cant put a case on it because it would be too much trouble to constantly remove from the case, when I get calls.
I wont attempt to paint the phone itself because that might get inside the electronics and damage it, but I can take off the rear panel (over the battery), and paint that since it's just a plastic cover.
I'd like to to paint it a bright color (like blaze orange), and use a durable oil based spray paint, such as "Rust Oleum". My concern is that the paint might melt the plastic, since it probably contains laquer. I dont know what type of plastic is used for cellphones?
Does anyone know if this is safe, (Wont harm the plastic)?
Otherwise, I'll probably just put some strips of colored electrical tape on it, but I'm sure they will come off in a short time.
It's too bad they dont make those basic phones in colors like they do with the smart phones.
On 12/28/2014 5:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Either Rustoleum or one of the other MAJOR brands makes a paint that works on ALL plastics. If you're paranoid, just spray some on a cotton swab (Q-Tip) and dab it on the inside of the battery cover and then wipe. If it crazes the finish you have your answer. If not, you have your solution.

That would be my choice.
If you're paranoid, just spray some on a cotton

Or wipe the inside of the case with nail polish remover. It has acetone and will melt styrene plastics.
First choice is a case on my belt that is easily accessible sitting, standing, driving, etc. I don't want to have to look for a ringing phone in the car. Oh, I don't have to, I just push a button on the steering wheel to answer it. Much safer.
On 12/28/2014 6:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1, Ed
GMTA, that's my solution as well. I did it that way even before the morons in the nanny state of Illinois mandated hands free in vehicles.

Try model paint for plastic models. Alternatively but a BRIGHTLY colored case/cover.
On 12/28/2014 6:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Instead of paint, why not put some reflective stickers on it?
On Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:57:59 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Get some crazy glue, glue to your dingus - then it will always be at hand.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:57:04 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

ABS parts. Testors model enamels or Humprol model enamels are available from hobby shops and will not damage the plastic.

I'll look for that paint. Sounds like the solution.
I have a belt case, which is fine when I'm working outdoors or even around the house, but having it on my belt in the car would be near impossible to get to, especially in cold weather when I am wearing a thick winter coat, being held down by my seat belt. I'd likely have to unclick the seat belt and unzip my coat.
I dont normally make calls when I'm driving, but I may answer it if I'm expecting an important call. Even then, I usually pull over if the call involved more than a few sentences, unless I'm on some country gravel road and not dealing with traffic.
There is a small compartment on my dashboard in my pickup truck, made for pens and small items. I usually put my phone in there, but it tends to fall on the floor at times. A black phone, black floormat, and after dark, all I have is the fairly dim domelight. Or tyhe phone ends up on the seat, which is often covered with paper and hand tools and whatever else, because pickup trucks lack a useful place to put stuff.

That's not a bad idea at all. It's made for plastic, and I could even paint a few stripes on the front cover, (using a small brush) without getting it into the clear window or the switches/buttons on the edge.
In wrote:

It would be black and it wouldn't work. He'd be in the same situation he is now
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:44:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

While you're at the hobby shop, buy some Ambroid Cement. This has nothing to with your phone, but hobby shops are the only places that sell Ambroid Cement and it's a great glue. Sticks to most things, dries quickly, but not so strong that you can't break, pry, or cut it apart when you need to.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:55:14 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You could start a whole business this way. Check out Sharktank.
do what we do, use another phone to ring the missing phone, so it can be located.
I did just this tonight
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:51:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

It is illegal ( here in Ontario and most places) to have the phone in your hand when driving anyway - you need a new phone that supports Blue-Tooth, with a bluetooth hands-free unit. That way you can keep the phone on your belt and answer it with a touch of the button on the BTHF unit.

My cellphone has been on my belt for over 8 years - with BT for the last 4 or 5. The cab on a standard cab Ranger is snug, but still has lots of places to lose a blackberry ( or any other handheld device)

Instead of paint, a couple of inches of fluorescent adhesive tape will meet the OP's need.
In order not to misplace small thumb drives, I attach a foot of bright ribbon to each.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs