spray foam for under a jetted tub

I installed a jetted tub about 15 years ago. It came attached to its own wooden supports on top of 3/4" plywood. I basically just had to put in place and screw the plywood down. Since that time, I've been fighting the caulking around the edge of the tub and the wall tiles. It seems that when the tub is filled with water and someone is soaking in it, the extra weight causes the tub to settle down. This has caused very small hairline cracks in the caulking.

I heard someone say to get some spray insulating foam and spray it under the tub between it and the plywood. I'm not sure if there is a specific type of spray foam that would work best. When I went to Lowes recently, they had two different types, small gap and wide gap. I'm not sure if either would work here. I think the spacing between the tub and the plywood is about 3-4 inches.

Someone else mention using a very dry mortar and then packing it in with the tub empty and letting it cure, I'm not sure if this is a good idea either.

Any ideas?

Reply to
rlz

You want "low expanding" door and window installation foam. If you use the regular stuff it will try to push the tub up to the ceiling. I used it when I helped re-install a friend's tub (his brother, a plumber, had installed it level instead of having the drain end down

1/8 inch or so - so it never drained properly). The foam also keaps the bath warm a lot longer.
Reply to
clare

The high expanding foam can create enough lift under the area of a tub to lift several tons. If it doesn't blow the sides out first.

Reply to
clare

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to fix it this weekend.

Reply to
rlz

Nothing wrong with mortar, it works fine.

Reply to
dadiOH

After the tub was set.

Reply to