splicing a spliced cable line

Page 3 of 3

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:00:21 -0500, "Charles Schuler"

And when I call for help they never accept that I've already tried all those obvious things. They keep asking these stupid questions EVERY TIME.

Mark Lloyd

Compatible with the frequency range used.

Mark Lloyd
AZ Nomad wrote:

Using say an old 500MHz rated splitter on a current 1GHz cable system will knock out half your channels, probably cable modem, etc.
Pete C.

do yourself a favor and buy a signal amplifer. they plug into a regular outlet and boost the cable signal so you don't have to worry about loosing the signal. you run your main cable into (screw on or push on terminal) the amplifer then out to the feed to the rest of the house by way of your splitters.
mike...........

Sure, but 0 dBm is a robust signal and that level is supplied to many homes ... 0 dbm is a milliwatt (that might not sound like much, but is a huge signal given the sensitivity of modern television receivers).

well then, with very good splitters and a signal amplifer, he should never have a problem no matter how many tv sets he wants to set up.
mike...........
JerseyMike wrote:

Not really, if the gain is adjusted improperly he's just as likely to have a signal overload at the receivers and poor quality.
We once had a more dramatic case of signal overload at the cable company on some satellite receivers. Late one evening we changed out the LNBs on the big 10m satellite dish with newer, better ones with lower noise figures. We went back in to the head end and noticed that the AGC LEDs on the 8 satellite receivers fed from those LNBs were all red. Investigating further we found that the new LNBs were so much better that they were providing a signal too strong for the AGCs on the receivers to compensate for. We had to install something like a 6db attenuator on the feed to make the receivers happy.
We also had to delete a half dozen voice mails complaining about the hour long loss of a pay per view channel, a channel where we had checked the pay per view computer and determined there were no buys. Amazing how people stealing cable are dumb enough to complain about it. If we felt like it we could have saved those voice mails and let the security folks track down and prosecute the offenders.
Pete C.

well i have no clue what any of that means, but i'm running pretty much the same set up as he is and what i described to him, and have never had a problem. when i've disconnected the amp. i've noticed a difference in the picture. reconnect the amp and the picture is great. Comcast is our cable provider and we're not in a rural area or have issues like that, but i'm running 5 tv's off the regualr feed.
mike.........

Or if the signal is already strong, a signal overload in the amplifier itself.

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:34:18 GMT, "JerseyMike"

That's not the universal solution some may think it is. A signal that's too strong gives you a bad picture (overload distortion) like a signal that's too weak does.

Mark Lloyd
Actually, analog television is more dependent on a clean strong signal than Hi Def. This is because Hi Def is a digital signal, as long as there is enough signal to work with it will work. Basically it either works properly or not at all.

EXT wrote:

Not entirely true. First off all of the lower tier channels on most cable systems are still analog so they will be pretty sensitive to signal strength. Secondly, while digital signals don't gradually degrade in picture quality like analog ones do, there is still a threshold point where reception will be marginal and the picture will show significant digital artifacts due to dropouts.
Pete C.

Why then do some homes have a picture that in all respects is near to perfect as analog gets and other have snow and ghosting. In other words what is the range for analog signal strength between best case and drop out. You say pretty sensitive and visually one wouldn't guess that not to be the case.
Secondly, while digital signals don't gradually degrade

Isn't the threshold between digital signal showing macro blocking to drop out pretty small and effected by other factors other then simply the signal strength. Can't a digital signal be effected by the tuner and reciever components to a degree that will effect the minimum signal strength it will work at?
On 29 Nov 2006 13:20:49 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I ran my cable tv to every room, including 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, the attic, living room, basement room, laundry room, and kitchen. That's 8. But I couldn't use an 8-way splitter because I only wanted one cable going up from the closet to the attic, or down from the closet to the living room. Every two splitters in sequence, I had to by a power amplifier. Sometimes I used 4-way splitters, but when you have unused terminals, you need to screw a cable terminator on the the threads. They are less than a dollar.
I don't have cable tv anymore but I split the signal coming out of the VCR. So x Cable Terminator 1 Continue to Bathroom 2 Continue to bedroom/office. x UP-Power Amp - 3 Attic tv 4 Bedroom TV VCR-- x DOWN -- 5 Living room TV Down to basement -- 6 Basement TV X Power Amp -- 7 Laundry Room TV 8 Continue to kitchen TV
Well, I know there is a second power amp in there somewhere. I forget where. (Probably in the closet right after "UP".) I plugged it in more than 10 years ago, and I haven't worried about it since. Radio Shack, i think. I don't buy one until the TV picture isn't good enough. Now even the farthest tv from the VCR has a perfect picture.
When High Def comes out, I'm not buying 8 high def tvs. I'm buying one convertor that will convert high def to something my tvs will use, which will go on the input of the VCR and continue to send the same signal to all 8 tv's.
Once I had a party with 70 people during the course of the day, 40 of whom stayed for the movie. 20 watched in the living room, 13 in the basement, and 7 in the kitchen. Same picture and sound everywhere. (I didn't let anyone watch in the bathroom.)
When I first had cable installed, I asked the cable guy if he could put the box in the closet, about 3 feet from the tv. He wasn't sure if it was close enough, but he did it and it worked . When I was in the middle of running cable through the ceiling of my basement, the cable went 30 feet down, 30 feet back, and 30 feet down again, plus 8 feet up from the basement floor and 5 feet up from the basement ceiling to the outlet in the kitchen, over 100 feet. And the picture was just fine. Distance does not weaken the signal much, but splitters do. But splitters are necessary if you want to run more than one tv.

in picture quality or performance. MLD