Soldering eyeglass Frames

Page 4 of 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription
Both eyes are nearsighted. The first requires a cylindrical (astigmatic) correction of -0.5 diopters at an angle of 174 degrees.
Note that the angles are in one-degree increments. Is the store supposed to stock 180 different versions of a lens with -2.5 diopters refraction and -.5 diopters cylindrical? You'd need at least 10,000 different lenses to cover the common combinations. Even if the cylindrical were limited to 5-degree increments, you'd still need a huge number of lenses.
No, no, no, no, no. I don't believe it.
William Sommerwerck writes:

Read my earlier reply. One lens blank covers all cylinder angles for a given spherical power and cylinder power. The angle is determined by the trimming of the blank.

Duh. Duh, duh, duh. Of course.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The blanks are circles. They spin the blank around to 174 degrees and cut it with a machine to fit the size and shape of the frame.
Anthony
William Sommerwerck wrote:

for all angles!!

Round lenses rotated as needed. Clamp them into a machine and let 'er rip. Cut to the frame size.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:32:09 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

Even 10,000 lens blanks at $1 each seems like no big deal to most people, especially when you consider the mark-ups involved. You could waste 3/4 of the inventory and not even worry about it. The display racks for the frames cost more than that.
Zenni optical relies on the purchaser to supply that data.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ya sure? ;-)
Their web site quotes:
Zenni Optical 27 Sunny Oaks Dr. San Rafael, Ca.94903 Phone 1-800-211-2105 Fax 1-415-491-4516
And their domain registration is "domains by proxy" with no contact info, which is usually a very bad sign.
But not always.
They seem to at least have some US presence, which is a very good sign.
[I buy rechargeable batteries from a company which has dozens of different "customized to different demographic" web sites, based in HK, but ships from CA. No problems with them.]

--
Chris Lewis,

I have purchased eye glasses from Zenni. The frames are a bit light weight, but the optics seem good.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Anthony Matonak wrote:

Not sure where the OP is, but I'd hit one of the flea markets that cater to blacks. All of them have a row a Korean selling gold and most of them will do jewelry repairs on the cheap. Cheaper than investing in a torch and high strength solder (or learning to braze).
Jeff

( snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com) writes:

I suppose strong thread would work too. Then epoxy over it, using heat so it solidifies fast.
Or if you still want to solder, drill the holes, wire it together, and then solder the wire and frame together. The wire holds it together, the solder just adds a level of firmness.
Michael
I use bifocals and love my frameless glasses from http://www.globaleyeglasses.com/cat/bifocal.html Net cost about $ 40 each. There is no point in repairing eyeglasses.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Solder would never hold, those frames are typically brazed. You can certainly re-braze them, though you would potentially also need to re-paint / re-finish them afterwards.
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Your uncle's right. Eyeglasses frames are brazed, not soldered. Last time I had to get frames repaired (about 5 years ago), it cost $25, which is a *lot* cheaper than a new set of frames.
--
Regards,
Try www.framesdirect.com. (I got my Flexons from them, then had Costco grind and install the lenses.) If the frame is still manufactured, they'll probably be able to find it for you, or a frame that has the same lens shape.

I have a pair of glasses for the computer that I periodically re-solder. I couldn't get a successful join until I took an onld barss track connector from an HO railroad set, and made it into a sleeve, and soldered the ends into that. The same could be done with a half inch of small brass hobby tubing. Looks like crap, but you can't see me through my screen (yet).
Many thanks for excellent replies. My plan is to try to get stainless solder and then try a jeweler. THere is a place on Queens Blvd which says "watch repair & shoe repair"
If I get sep read/walk glasses, Zenni is as low as $9. I got the eyeglasses which broke in 2003 for $30 and that "factory outlet" now costs $40. They must be cast iron because they hurt and I tried to bend them in church when they broke. I used to be good at bending. I really don't care if the temple looks different.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
When the thin tubual metal temples broke on my [Zenni Optical] glasses, squeezed the ends into a short length of insulation from 12 gauge wire. Worked well for many months and didn't look too bad. Eventually Zenni sent a replacement.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.