Soldering eyeglass Frames

When the thin tubual metal temples broke on my [Zenni Optical] glasses, squeezed the ends into a short length of insulation from 12 gauge wire. Worked well for many months and didn't look too bad. Eventually Zenni sent a replacement.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 02:21:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

The only time I did it successfully was with an acetylene-air torch and silver solder it. It needs to be heated red hot, the borax flux melts. A touch of silver solder instantly melts and wicks into the heated metal frame.
Eyeglass repair webs say they use gold solder.
I could almost make the temple from wire (run the screw through a loop). If only I knew where to find "antique bronze" wire that stiff and thick.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:04:16 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Fence wire, and modeling paint.
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

My tip: Take them off before attempting to solder them.
*+-My tip: Take them off before attempting to solder them.
Have been known to be quite ambidexterous, but not THAT much!
More seriously, I would need something to hold them in place.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Uncrewed the leftover part of the frame and it is the size of a nut. I thought there might be some stem left, but no. This seems undoable. I once repaired plastic frames by screwing an eye-screw into the frame with a similar fracture. I wonder if I can't solder an eye screw (looks like the letter P) in there. In the toirtoise shell plastic glasses, the eye screw repair looked darn near invisible.
Heck, it would almost be easier to twist the frame 90 degrees and put a hole in perpendicular to the flat side and run the screw through that.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Hey i fix glasses ... normal solder dont hold .. its a special type of solder ... send it to me and ill fix it for 30usd
Http://www.glassesrepairstt.com

My beer glasses need fixing. Do you do them?
On Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 9:21:31 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@at.biostrategist. dot.dot.com wrote:

st

-

os]
well being 2017 I broke another pair & after thinking about it I think i'll use after scuffing up the paint i'll use Contact Cement: It takes a # of d ays to stat to harden & I may coat it a few times & may take over a week or so to really start to set up & get hard; but once it does its' like a rock & don't know what if you bend them of what they will do?
On Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 8:21:31 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

I have a pair of titanium, glasses can they be spot welded to repair?

I've been buying memory titanium framed glasses from Zenni Optical on line. Last pair a few weeks ago was $82 and that included shipping. Besides frames lenses are bifocal and anti-reflective coating. Their glasses are cheap enough that you can buy over a half dozen pairs for less than the cost of one in the USA. My latest were just for the computer but I have a couple of regular pairs.
I did break one of their titanium frames several years ago in the nose bridge region with only one connection. Did not try to fix it as that is a high stress area.
Frank posted for all of us...

I have often wondered how their products are... My guy takes several measurements when purchasing. How does Zenni do this?
--
Tekkie

On 12/22/2017 11:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It worked for me years ago. It wasn't a titanium frame. I think I had to file down a bit of the surface to be able to tin the material. Lasted for years - in fact I now have it out in the garage to wear when I am working out there, though I never remember.