Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

Page 6 of 6
On 10/24/2015 2:59 PM, Eagle wrote:

Sure, and they have a good supply of montgomery wrenches.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

This is a Monkey Ward 1/2" extension that I snapped off. (Power Craft)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/broken%20extension.jpg
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 16:17:32 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Trying to get the balancer bolt out of a Honda. The pipe was about 4 feet long. I ended up taking it to the shop for the $1000 belt job.
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 22:50:13 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

I was prepared to buy myself a present (a 3/4" impact gun) but this was such a miserable job on a Prelude, I just bailed out on it. The dealer actually loosens the motor mounts and lifts the engine a bit to get in there. It isn't like most FWDs, You don't remove the wheel well and see the belt. It is lined up precisely with the strut housing, about 1/4" away from the cover. Even sneaking the cover off doesn't help much. The $1000 belt job includes a water pump, a main seal job and a few other things that are easier when the motor is loose.

Any red Loctite involved? Harley is fond of that for one particular nut. First you start with a torch to destroy the Loctite.

If you are talking about the but on the main shaft of the transmission (where the clutch bolts on) you need to remember it is left hand thread ;-)
I was not ready to torch a crank shaft but that may be why Honda sells you the seal.

Those. Back in the day when Mopar had a thing for left handed lugnuts more than one stud got snapped off with the application of a breaker bar and 4' of pipe. iirc, the rear brake drum was held on the axle by a large left-handed nut too. Or maybe I'm just remembering the pain of using a puller to get the drum assembly off the taper.
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 00:48:23 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Inless someone screwed with it, they were on the left. On Hudsons and some oldsmobiles as well - as well as some old brits and a handful of others.
After serious thinking Uncle Monster wrote :

Cool...I used to be. Now I hardly ever use My tools.
Uncle Monster used his keyboard to write :

It does, but I have to give it incentive to come out of it's cave. 8-o
Cave Dave
on 10/28/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

You have to lassoo it and drag it out in cold weather Monster dude... :o)

Yes, obviously.
There are a few exceptions: 8mm and 5/16" are so close as to make no practical difference, likewise 16mm and 5/8", 4mm and 5/32", etc.

That depends on whether your vehicles use both types of fasteners. Obviously there is no need for SAE wrenches on a vehicle with all-metric fasteners, or vice versa.
The last vehicle I had that used a mixture of SAE and metric fasteners was built in the mid or late 1980s. My wife's 1998 Mustang is 100% metric.