So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Nope, that was someone else. Snowblowers have long handles, when you stand further forward behind them you are between the handles, and to turn you just lean into the handle opposite the direction you want to turn and it will happily turn while moving, without requiring much if any arm strength. Learn this technique and you'll find the whole process less tiring.

I used to simply take the snowblower up on top of the banks to cut them down and blow the snow further back when they got too tall to blow over, but I also always blew the snow as far back as I could so the banks didn't develop much at the edge of the driveway.

Yep, they're easy to forget when the wheel is caked in snow so you can't see the lock.

Yep, you don't often need to make tight turns if you think about what you're doing. Also, even with the differential locked, tight turns aren't very difficult as long as you push down on the handles to lift the front end of the snowblower up off the ground so you aren't trying to drag the skids through stuff.

If you have a sufficiently large snowblower, you might get away with attaching one of those one wheel "boogies" that a lot of landscapers use behind big mowers.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm calling for a congressional investigation, and immediate budget of 100 billion to fund generators and satelite internet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you have an older snowblower, or modify the stupid controls on a new one, it goes to hands off operation which is great for the first few passes where you can let the snowblower do it's thing in low gear while you walk around and collect fallen branches. Just have to walk over to it occasionally and adjust the direction to keep it on track.

I do the same with my riding mower w/ vac bagger in the fall, letting it continue sucking up leaves while I walk ahead and get fallen branches out of the way.

Reply to
Pete C.

He got old too. Even if he was in his 20's when you moved in, he's in his 50's now, and farming is hard on the body. I know my Dad wouldn't even consider scooping 24" of snow out of 600+ feet of driveway 10 years ago, let alone now. 20 years ago he'd think twice. 30 years ago, no problem.

You can't push that kind of snow. It has to be blown or scooped up and dumped to the side.

In the middle of the f*cking snow storm of the century when they've already got twice as much work as they can handle. Good plan.

You've got two choices now: Wait until it's too late and die, or call the county sheriff's non-emergency number before it becomes an emergency.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Really?

Late Monday night, he pushed and dragged the snow out of my driveway, after installing new chains to climb the hill. He has a humongous John Deere that serves multiple purposes.

Problem is we're going through another monster storm that started yesterday. When the vicious winds subside sometime tomorrow, he'll hopefully return. Or maybe Friday. Two monsters within four days.

They sure were pimping for business in the spring for their landscape businesses. But when ya need them .....

Ain't much I can do but wait.

County sheriff? Hell, the county govts. have pulled their snowplows because of dangerous white out conditions. What's the sheriff going to do ,,, pick me up with a helicopter?

Reply to
Stranded

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:47:09 GMT, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

Global warming in action.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Yup. I'm where it's not snowing, although it "normally" would be. We've gotten less than 2 inches total from both storms, and the temps are in the high 20s. "Normal" for my neck of the woods is at least 6 inches a week and single digits at this time of the year. Everyone south of us is much colder and much deeper in snow. Been like this for several years now. Certainly not the weather we had 30-40 years ago. It's certainly not a "normal" weather cycle like some other poster was positing. When I was a kid we had snow in November and it was up over the windows by January and we didn't see grass until April. We regularly had temps of -20F (not including wind chill) or colder for days at a time. This year we've barely dipped below 0 and most of the snow melted (lawn is mostly grass) weeks ago. We got a dusting this morning, but it will be up above freezing soon, so it will melt again. Very odd winters the past few years. Love it, though.

Storm or no storm, that's just a plain old good idea no matter what.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

My grandmother mowed her own lawn (front *and* back) until she was in her upper eighties. Anytime someone would offer to do it for her, she would say she needed the exercise.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

More heat equals greater extremes? By what law of nature, thermodynamics, God, man, or physics can that possibly be?

If I add heat to a pan of water I can get ice?

Global warming = more severe winters is a scientific fiction.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sorry, I just shipped my last two complete working kits to Haiti a couple weeks ago. (well, they belong to my employer, but anything I drag down to the back dock on a flatbed, I consider 'mine'.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

That is why I haven't broken down and bought a riding mower, as much as I would love one, and can easily afford it. I really do need the exercise of pushing that thing around. Unlike shoveling snow, mowing doesn't trash my back for a day or two.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

As do I ...I love mowing the lawn with a push mower and need the exercise..About 2 acres worth..LOL.....It also does a MUCH better job IMHO...We also have a lot of trees , gardens , hills ect. so it's not ALL lawn..My dad's snowblower is a newer Craftsman 18HP with dual wheels that turns really easy with power steering..Boy don't it really throw the snow...LOL...

Reply to
benick

The climate changes 4 times a year here in Maine...Spring , Summer , Fall and Winter...Man Made Global Warming or Climate change or whatever the environuts are calling it now is a HOAX...

Reply to
benick

Sounds like you're either old enough to know what a "pantry" is. Or, you're a survivalist. or both?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

About every piece I have seen - temperatures are rising on *average* taken *world wide*

- the resulting climate change at any *point* is unpredictable - maybe hotter, maybe colder, maybe productive farm areas will loose their rain, maybe.... Weather patterns will change in unpredictable ways.

- on average the energy in the atmosphere will increase - including moisture which is a form of energy. That can cause more severe storms, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, ... - in short, more extreme weather.

A very large snow storm is consistent with "climate change" - there is more heat in the atmosphere in the form of moisture. What little I have seen on this storm is it is like lake effect snow with the lake being the ocean.

Also consistent with "climate change":

- massive rainstorms and mudslides in California

- drought in the south

- light to moderate rain over at least 8 hours around Christmas in Minnesota, also another day since.

No scientist would say any of the above is from "climate change". To do so would confuse "weather" with "climate". Denying "climate change" based on a snow storm shows a similar lack of understanding of science.

Reply to
bud--

I'm not a climatologist and I suspect that you aren't either. Anyway ...

The Kool-aid set would scream "global warming" regardless of the weather.

30 yrs. ago, it was the "New Ice Age."

Fact is that there's no proof that warming is anthropogenic, or that man can reverse it, or that it is necessarily catastrophic.

Fact is that all sorts of recent stories are breaking but being swept under the rug by the mainstream media about flawed data that supposedly support the "global warming" concept.

Fact is that the individuals and organizations who are pushing the concept are those in favor of redistribution of first-world wealth.

Fact is that the climatologists who have expressed the need for more study have been silenced by the media. I'm talking about scientists, not Limbaugh, Palin, etc.

Reply to
Must Be Bush's Fault

There is no "proof" for much widely accepted science, like plate tectonics.

There is wide consensus by experts in many appropriate fields that anthropogenic global warming is a fact and is a serious risk to the world.

The goal is to slow and then stop it.

The Greenland ice sheet is not only melting, it is melting much faster than predicted. The rise in ocean level from a melting Greenland ice sheet alone would be catastrophic.

Ah yes, the conspiracy, including many national academies of science.

Not to worry - it is effectively countered by the Bilderberg Group with the help of the Illuminati and the Elders of Zion.

I really don't find arguments on science that is backed by a wide consensus of scientists interesting. The arguments often involve alternate realities.

Reply to
bud--

Nice snip job.

Reply to
Jack

The Earth's climate is more complicated than a pan of water. Your model is flawed. Consider the effect of El Nino (as we are seeing this year); that's an oceanic current that moves around. If the average global temperature increases, we might well see more El Nino events than we have been.

Of course, you simply don't want to believe in global warming, so no rational persuasion will have any effect.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton