So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Page 4 of 6

Man, you don't know how bad it is here.
They're expecting massive power failures and roofs torn off tomorrow when the winds kick in.
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:00:57 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

That's true; I don't know. Well, in a couple days when the power comes back on, please tell us how you did.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We need generators and satellite internet. We can't afford to lose contact with out newsgroups!
I'm calling for a congressional investigation, and immediate budget of 100 billion to fund generators and satelite internet.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
dgk wrote:

Sorry, I just shipped my last two complete working kits to Haiti a couple weeks ago. (well, they belong to my employer, but anything I drag down to the back dock on a flatbed, I consider 'mine'.)
-- aem sends...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Storm or no storm, that's just a plain old good idea no matter what.
Jon
Sounds like you're either old enough to know what a "pantry" is. Or, you're a survivalist. or both?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wish I was more of a survivalist, but I do make sure to keep several weeks worth of dry/canned foods in the house should I get stuck here for a short length of time.
I also backpack, so the dried goods are used by me throughout the year as provisions, which is kind of nice because I know what I need and what works for nutrition.
Jon
On Feb 9, 1:47pm, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:

He got old too. Even if he was in his 20's when you moved in, he's in his 50's now, and farming is hard on the body. I know my Dad wouldn't even consider scooping 24" of snow out of 600+ feet of driveway 10 years ago, let alone now. 20 years ago he'd think twice. 30 years ago, no problem.
You can't push that kind of snow. It has to be blown or scooped up and dumped to the side.

In the middle of the f*cking snow storm of the century when they've already got twice as much work as they can handle. Good plan.

You've got two choices now: Wait until it's too late and die, or call the county sheriff's non-emergency number before it becomes an emergency.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:29:55 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Really?
Late Monday night, he pushed and dragged the snow out of my driveway, after installing new chains to climb the hill. He has a humongous John Deere that serves multiple purposes.
Problem is we're going through another monster storm that started yesterday. When the vicious winds subside sometime tomorrow, he'll hopefully return. Or maybe Friday. Two monsters within four days.

They sure were pimping for business in the spring for their landscape businesses. But when ya need them .....

Ain't much I can do but wait.
County sheriff? Hell, the county govts. have pulled their snowplows because of dangerous white out conditions. What's the sheriff going to do ,,, pick me up with a helicopter?
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:47:09 GMT, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote Re Re: So Where Are All These Unemployed People?:

Global warming in action.

...and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.
No shit Sherlock..But it will move 8 inches at a time...DUH...
(Stranded) wrote:

On Feb 8, 4:04pm, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:

Jeez, do you want to plow your driveway or start a landscaping business???
Google "Chevy Colorado snow plow" and educate yourself. There are plenty of options out there for light-duty, light-weight snow plows that are easy to hook and unhook. They have quick-attach systems where you drive up to the plow and drop in a couple of pins to install it, then remove a couple of pins and back away to uninstall it. No lifting. No dropping.
You can have them professionally installed. Most people, even the guys that plow driveways for a living, have them professionally installed.
You don't need to have a heavy duty truck to plow ONE driveway.
...and ballast? You don't know what ballast is? OMFG. Look it up.
(Stranded) wrote:

Sure sounds like a girly man...Get off your ass and start shoveling...Everyone else including the unemployed are doing the same..What do you think you're the only one that got snowed in ? That the unemployed got passed over... Jesh , some people...You deserve to go hungry....
Stranded wrote:

No, but you can indeed eat the rabbits, squirrels and deer that are around. If you get snowed in and starve it's due to a lack of survival skills, not a lack of available food.

2' of snow simply means 2 to 3 sessions of snow blowing as the snow is coming down, i.e. 8"-12" at a time. With a decent machine and that 8"-12" depth to move, figure 10 min max per 100' of driveway.

You assume Stranded could even run a snowblower... He sounds pretty old, probably in his 70's with the problems any normal 70-something would have. Most people over 70 have no business running a snowblower in a typical short <100' suburban driveway, let alone 660' of rural driveway.
What I find ironic is that he's complaining about a circumstance he brought upon himself, and blaming it on young people who complain about circumstances they brought upon themselves.
Yes, you brought it on yourself. You knew that there'd be heavy snows and that you wouldn't be able to clear the driveway yourself. You knew that your farmer friend was getting too old to spend hours in the bitter cold scooping out your driveway. Yet, your pride and silly emotional attachments kept you from putting a for sale sign out by the road and moving into town.
That's all well and good, but you had to know that there were risks involved. One was that you'd get snowed in and not be able to get out. You knew that there was a chance that this would happen. You've got no business complaining about it.

[...]
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...
benick wrote:

I certainly disagree about moving into the city.
However, having a backup snow clearing plan such as a decent lawn tractor with snowblower attachment and cab would certainly be a reasonable thing. 660' is not that far and even at 70 driving a lawn tractor with a cab shouldn't be too strenuous.

Where I live now I only have a double wide by 30 feet driveway. Just use a snow shovel. Keeps me in shape. But I am only 82. ww