Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

Page 1 of 3

I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked carburetor.
Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking gas/oil. This is a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still leaks.
I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until January 4th.
Until I can get it in for repairs, I have moved the machine from my garage to my medium-sized shed. The gas fumes were entering my home.
The blower is leaking about a tablespoon of gas a day. Hopefully, it will soon be empty.
I hate to store it outside due to the elements, but am wondering if this could be a fire hazard when storing it inside the shed? The only thing I store in the shed is two lawnmowers, Christmas decorations, rakes, fertilizer, etc. I do have electrical outlets up high that I use for lights, radio, etc.
I tend to be a worrier and don't want to burn the place down, so I wanted to ask: Is this safe?
Many thanks.
Kate

Would it be safe from theft if you stored it outside with a tarp over it? Sounds like a better idea than the shed.
And find a new repair shop whose entire staff doesn't vanish for 2 weeks during snow blower season.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yes, I believe so. Thanks, and I fully agree with your comment. The problem is I live in a rural area and they are the only small engine repair shop within a two-hour drive.
Call friends and neighbors. Someone out there must have some small engine experience.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sounding more like dirt in the fuel, and the needle and seat isn't closing properly. Fairly simple fix.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Can't we just shut off the fuel supply line? If the blower fuel line, has such a valve..
The smaller ones, I don't think they have a shut off. The other plan is to wire the handle and let it run dry, a couple days from now.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Kate wrote:

Not great, but if there is no source of open flame like a heater it'll be highly unlikely to cause a problem.
I would recommend you ought to empty the tank, though, rather than let it leak at that rate if you can't simply tighten a hose clamp or similar to stop it. If nothing else, put a catch pan under it w/ kitty litter or somesuch to absorb the spill and be able to dispose of it rather than letting it soak into a floor...
dpb wrote:

The tank is almost empty, thank goodness, and I do have a pan underneat it.
Thanks.

Do you empty the pan. Fumes will come from the pan. How about a trough from where the pan is to the outside of the shed?
But I don't think it will ignite if there is nothing to ignite it.
Don't be like the movies, smoking a cigarrette as you open the door. Or is that the cartoons?

If there are any fumes in the garage, then when you go from the house into the garage or vice-versa, some of the fumes will go into the house.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:52:13 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

She moved it from the garage to the free-standing shed.

Outside would be a lot better. Concentrated fumes are the real danger. Outside, the fumes can dissapate.
Maybe you can figure out what is leaking. It might be as simple as a hose clamp screw that wasn't tightened enough.
Alternately, you could simply drain all the gas out into a clean jar or pan and then dump it into your gas can.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I have had two guys look at it. No luck. When I called the company they said the entire carburetor would need to be taken a part again. Apparently there is dirt affecting the needle. Not sure what this all means, but I am taking it back on January 4th. Ugh!
It sounds as if you have a Tecumseh carb. I do also, on my Toro (which is a gas oil mixer). I cut some fuel line out, and put an inline fuel filter. The problem I had, the old gas had some specks of black floating around, and the machine would clog and stop running. The fuel filter was one of the best things I've done, repair wise.
I'd be sure to ask for them to cut some fuel line out, and install a fuel filter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I love this group. Thanks.
I'd be happy to look at it. You near Rochester, NY?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ah your are sweet. No, Washington State.
So, about 9 AM tomorrow, then?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus