Snowblower Question

I have an Arians snowblower (5HP) powered by a Tecumseh engine, horizontal shaft. The starter (rewind) cord looks like it is on its last leg and I'd like to change it before if fails. It's in a housing on the rear of the engine (facing the back of the blower). I don't see an obvious way to get the housing that holds the rope and rewind pulley off. The Tecumseh site does not contain any instructions or parts list that shows this information. Has anyone gone through procedure before? MLD
You have to remove the whole cover not just the rewind housing. This is done by removing usually a couple of bolts on the engine head and two at about 7 and 5 o'clock as you face the housing. The housing should slide right off. When you have it off turn it over and pull the rope to the end of its limit hold the plastic pulley from rewinding and remove the old rope. Tighten the spring to the end of it's limit and back off 3/4's of a turn until the hole for the rope lines up with hole in housing. It takes a bit of force to keep the plastic housing from unwinding. Tie a figure eight knot or double granny on one end of the new piece of rope feed it down thru plastic pulley and thru hole ih housing and pull it until the rope is seated in the notch provided for it. Then slowly release the rope being careful not to lose it when you get close to the end fasten the handle on and your good to go.
Thanks a lot. Will give it a good look tomorrow. Don't want to disturb anything just yet so long as it's working. Our city was just blessed with the having the largest snow fall in the state this weekend. Officially, we had 36 inches, but when you look at the drifts and snow banks it's something else. The snow on my back porch ended up more than half way up the kitchen window. MLD

done by

and
When you

the
rope
end of

it.
close to

I usually lift up the tabs that hold the spriing and pulley, and then it is a real experience trying to get it bck together. I'll try that way next time. Thanks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

it's a tecumseh engine, there are no tabs like a briggs. just wind it up back it off and put the new rope through the spring will suck it up.
as for the briggs starters, put the end of the spring through the hole into the pulley, crimp the tabs and wind the spring in, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for any starter repair. Chip