Snowbirds: House plant maint. question

Page 2 of 2
For the record, I have seen what a water leak can do to a house, more than a few times. My folks were gone for just a few days and had one of those modern, braided supply hoses come loose at its factory-crimped coupling. Likely or not, it happened. The only reason it was noticed by anyone is because it was the hot side... all the windows steamed up and a neighbor noticed it. Fortunately, the water found a way to leak through to the basement, which has a floor drain. It sure wrecked lots of things, just the same, and made for a hefty electric bill with the water heater trying to recover for who knows how many days. Ugly situation, simply avoided by turning the water and water heater off while you're gone.
The more I think about it, the more I like our silk house plants in AZ. They are so realistic these days that they defy detection. However, they are a little weak on cleansing the air and supplying oxygen.
Unc
-> Note: Someone in an RV group recommended that I post this here, -> complementing your NG for having many great ideas. -> -> We travel pretty regularly in our RV, and have recently bought a winter home -> in AZ. When we're away for up to two months, our house plants (in WA) -> somehow survive, with a good soaking when we leave, along with placing them -> so they'll get enough light, but not burn up. They're awfully thirsty by -> the time we come home. -> -> Now that we expect to be gone for longer periods, we need some kind of -> automatic, indoor watering system. We need to shut off our house water -> while we're gone, to avoid potential disaster, since our house is somewhat -> remote. In other words, whatever we get will need to be battery operated -> (winter power outages are common) and draw water from buckets/tank/whatever. -> So far, what I've found doesn't have enough capacity to do the job. We -> simply have -> too many plants, which will suck up a lot of water in three to five months. -> It's not practical to have someone go to our house, nor do we want to impose -> that on anyone, especially when they wouldn't have water to use for -> themselves (not to mention our complicated alarm system). -> -> Does anyone here use an automatic system, or have a brainstorm for how we -> could keep these poor plants happy? Some of them are decades old... we'd -> hate to do them in. Thanks for your input. -> -> Unc
Would it be practical to set the plants in the bathtub with plenty of water? You could also leave a "portable" flourescent light on in that bathroom for artificial sunlight.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

How about this automatic watering system from Hammacher Schlemmer? http://www.hammacher.com/publish/70899.asp?promo=search
automatic watering system from Hammacher Schlemmer?

It looks real nice, but as I mentioned, I'd need at least three of them.... BTW, it sells for $10 less at most other sites, and $20 less at one.
If this unit had a big, industrial-strength brother, it would work. I have 50 plants and may need to auto-water them for up to 150 days.