Busy lizzie..House Plant

Hi, I have just joined and was wanting to know if anyone has a Busy lizzie house plant or where i could get one from.

We had one has a child and i was always taking cuttings and giving them as gifts to family and friends..It was back in the 70s.

My mum is in her 80s and asked me if i still had one of them pink plants.....

So i would love to try and find one for her..Have googled it but it just comes up with bedding plants.

They had a fleshy stem and vibrant pink flowers...My Dad used to say they were weeds because we had them in every room..

Its funny how you remember something so long ago.

Reply to
black eyed susi

Assuming you are in the UK, the "standard" bedding busy lizzie suffered badly from a disease called impatiens downy mildew last year, which effectively wiped out the stocks. The disease doesn't affect the New Guinea hybrids or one of the other hybrids. Have a look at the New Guinea hybrids available, which you will often find in the greenhouse area of garden centres. Even if you can find the usual bedding busy lizzie or seeds of it available for sale, I would be very wary as although those plants may be completely healthy, the disease may be blown in and flare up again.

More info here:

Jeff Layman

Jeff

The Busy Lizzie i mean was erect and branched out..Nothing like the bedding variety..It got quite tall.

Cheers for your knowledge.

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:

Reply to
black eyed susi

The only thing you can do is google "impatiens" and look through the links to see if the one you are looking for is shown.

For example, have a look here:

look under the heading "See all kinds" - New Guinea Impatiens.)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Jeff.

I have googled it and asked around, But no joy. If i had the full Latin name would help.

Thanx again

-

The only thing you can do is google "impatiens" and look through the links to see if the one you are looking for is shown.

For example, have a look he 'Impatiens - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com'