Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Page 7 of 16

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:02:04 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I ran the Ontario Regional Navigational Rallye Championship series for 3 years back in the late 70s and early 80s. Curtas and sliderules (mostly the round ones) ruled back then, and programmable calculators were legal the final year I competed. We had an electronic odometer designed (usung a calculator) that we would have used the next year had we continued, as well as an HP Programmable calculator that my "aggravator"used us a civil engineering technologist and had programmed to do the ET calculations.
On Mar 7, 3:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Or even ben a fan...or interested in the subject. I had the hots for one and never even considered rallying. Price turned me off.
Harry K

Possibly because that's *not* the link he posted (see above).
On Mar 7, 8:15am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I had just taken a quick look at the summary and thought I saw you googled it also spelled with a C. Just trying to help, not bust your balls.
Harry K
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 06:28:51 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Hey, Don - I agree with you one hundred percent.
On Mar 3, 7:49am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Just because there are two confirmed cases where it was proven that it _can_ be shifted to neutral under runaway conditions...
Harry K
On Mar 3, 5:19am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Well, if you want to prove that the car cannot be shifted to neutral, go rent one and try it.
Harry K
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:43:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

How about like " I tried it on a Lexus ES300 and you can put it in neutral any time you like, and when in neutral the car slows down, and when floored in neutral the tachometer jumps between 3000 and 4500 rpm"

Truth is stranger than fiction
On Mar 2, 11:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll bet you didn't do it on one where the car was undergoing unintended acceleration, did you? You can do all the tests you want on a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING car. Without knowing how the car is designed and what is linked to what, you have no way of knowing what would happen when it's undergoing this unintended acceleration. How about the computer has the shift locked, the accelerator pegged and isn't responding to any commands?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Turn off ignition...
As far as has been released and as afaict from Mr Toyota's remarks, the return to neutral function is mechanical linkage only.

Geez, after all this time isn't this clear? YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TURN OFF THE IGNITION. Did you read how the Lexus, for example, is built? There is no key to turn. It's based on a key chain fobe that enables the ignition when you are in the car. You then push a start button to start the car. You have to hold that same button for 3 secs continuosly to shut off the ignition. And that ASSUMES the computer is responding to that command, which, if the same computer happens to be commanding full throttle could mean the computer is stuck in some abnormal mode and IS NOT GOING TO RESPOND.

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

On Mar 3, 5:22am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

And how about if God reached down and blocked off the shift lever?
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Finally, a straight forward sensible question! ;-)

The computer cannot lock the shifter in gear. At least not on the Lexus ES 300. It can lock it in PARK on some cars - which is a PAIN, but not a sefety issue.

Now who is making assumptions? The high performance street driving I took as a Paramedic did not include any training about run away acceleration. -- Doug

No, and I never assumed it did. But don't you think a CA highway patrol officer that has received a variety of training, not only in driving, but in how to handle difficult, stressful, combat situations, would have the presence of mind to shift into neutral? Yet he did not during a ride that lasted minutes? Or that not one of the 3 other people in the car thought of it? Is it possible they didn't try sure. But doesn't this bother you at all, or are you certain to join Harry in calling the dead cop stupid?

It bothers me quite a bit. I don't have a good explanation for the reported facts.
I've never seen a car that can't be shifted into neutral at speed, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I've instructed my wife and daughters to shift into neutral if the car runs away. They all said "You can do that?". So it is possible that no one thought of it or that it was possible.
I had an '79 Audi that didn't run away, but didn't slow down when I lifted the accelerator. I hooked my foot under the pedal and pulled it up. It slowed down just fine. It turned out there was a problem with the throttle sticking. It was common enough that my mechanic recognized it immediately. If the Lexus throttle was jammed by the floor mat, the same technique may have worked.
Since I owned an Audi of the appropriate vintage, I paid a lot of attention to the unintended acceleration issues at the time. Car and Driver magazine has some first rate automotive engineers on the staff. They showed conclusively that the brakes can overcome a full throttle. As mentioned in this thread, they did so again recently.
For most people, 90 mph through traffic is terrifying and panic is not unexpected. For a CHiPs officer, that is just another day at the office. But he was calling 911! Of all the useless activities.
Like I said, I don't have a good explanation.
-- Doug

did they do this with the car MOVING at speed,and THEN try to stop the car with full throttle? Or just put the brakes on and floor the gas pedal?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

From http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/how_to_deal_with_unintended_acceleration-tech_dept
"With the Camrys throttle pinned while going 70 mph, the brakes easily overcame all 268 horsepower straining against them and stopped the car in 190 feetthats a foot shorter than the performance of a Ford Taurus without any gas-pedal problems and just 16 feet longer than with the Camrys throttle closed. From 100 mph, the stopping-distance differential was 88 feetnoticeable to be sure, but the car still slowed enthusiastically enough to impart a feeling of confidence"
-- Doug