Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Page 4 of 16

I've practiced some, I'd had a couple happen to me, but just as important, I practice them in my mind. Ever watch the top athletes run the downhill in their minds? Or a race course? They know what to expect and are ready for when it happens. While driving, just think about where you are and what you can do if an emergency happens.
Oh, as for the black ice, I learned quickly when I was 17 and found myself going backwards at 50 mph. Valuable lesson. I do have a rather large parking lot at work to pay around too, so yes, I do have a skid pad of sorts.

I was interested for my next car in a Solara convertible, but a guy on the radio with a used car lot and shop told how one of them pinned itself and almost pinned his mechanic against the wall.
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:53:59 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

At the time, I thought it was the driver's fault, but I don't think so anymore.

I _know_ it was the driver's fault. There is no debate about that. He was just plain stupid.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

More the fault of the car dealership that gave him that loaner car even after the previous customer who'd used it reported the sudden acceleration problem to them. They loaned it out again anyway.

It's common to have failures that are not readily repeatable by service techs. You can't fix when you cannot diagnose,because the reported problem did not occur when checking it out.
and isn't the operator responsible for learning about the engine shut-off procedure from the Operators Manual? Even if it's a loaner?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The operator should have known there was a problem, diagnosed it and fixed it properly before leaving the dealership. He must have been stupid.

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:44:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:44:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

I'm just trying to make my logic match that of others here.
On Mar 2, 9:31am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

!!??? He should have known there was a prolem with unintended acceleration? And just how do you think he could have done that unless the dealer told him? Fixed it!!!? The DEALER can't even find the problem much less fix it.
Harry K
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:53:20 -0800 (PST), Harry K

I was just trying to match the logic of a few others in this thread, including yourself.

I didn't know about that.

If a a problem was reported by the previous driver, none of what you say is an excuse for lending it out. It might be an excuse for returning it to the owner, but not for lending it out without notifying the borrower about the problem that they couldn't find or fix.

Maybe, maybe not. Probably not.
What do you claim was in the manual that he didn't know? If there were something really novel, the dealership should have explained it. If it wasn't really novel, then he would have been able to turn off the car.

The car did not start/stop with a key. It has a button and a sensor that knows you have the fob on you. Yes, the dealer should have explained how to shut the car off. From what I've read, you have to hold the button for a couple of seconds. I can see a panicked driver slapping the button repeatedly instead of holding it for a few seconds. Just like turning off a cell phone, you have to hold the button.

Unless you've dropped it on the floor? What happens then?, or if the passenger grabs it and throws it to the back seat.

I can see that too. I don't seem to panic, but otoh, I may be too calm and slow during emergencies. Other people panic. I'd be scared for sure if the car was speeding up.

I'm still not good at hanging up my cordless phone (I have two slightly different models with the buttons arranged differently), or my cell phone, or turning off the cell phone.
I was thinking about the car thing. At 60 MPH, a mile a minute, 3 seconds is enough to go 264 feet. I would much rather have a key, which turns off the ignition in my car in under a fifth of a second, more like 20 feet.

It has to be within 20 feet of the car. If it is tossed out the window, the engine will stop.

After these incidents, cars may go back to that.

-snip-
at the very least it should be mandatory to have the panic shutoff that ?Audi? has-- hit it 3 times quickly & it shuts down. Should save 2 1/2 seconds or so.
Jim

No. At least on my Infiniti, the engine runs just fine with the fob out of the car. It just won't start with the fob out of the car.-- Doug
wrote in

so,you can exit your car,and leave the motor running while you go into a store?
And then some thief can drive off with it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yep. So don't do that. -- Doug