snapper riding mower. need to remove differential.

Hello. I have a Snapper riding lawn mower. Engine is rear mounted. Recently the mower stopped moving and it is because the differential slips in forward. (It works in reverse). I can't figure out how to remove the rear axle. But I need to so I can see what is wrong. Like if it is a stripped gear etc.. I've taken the cover off the gear boxes and haven't seen anything obvious.. I think it might be something I can't get to without dismanteling the whole thing. I've seen a rebuild kit online for 75 bucks, but I want to make sure I can do it first! Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to
sirmopalot

I've had a couple of Snapper riding mowers over the years.

Are you SURE that it's a differential problem?

From what I remember about the last time I was inside one of those it's sort of hard to see how the differential could "slip" in one direction only.

Are you SURE your problem isn't just a worn or misadjusted rubber tired drive disk?

To test if the differential is "slipping" or not, with the engine off and the gas tank less than half full, put the gear selector in neutral and flip the mower "on it's back". Then have a look at where the rubber tired drive wheel ends up when you "shift gears".

It should be tight against the engine shaft drive disk when the shift is in any forward gear or reverse. If it isn't, readjust things until it is. Once it's tight against the drive disk and you can rotate one wheel by hand without the other wheel turning in the opposite direction, you were right, the differential is toast, but I'm hoping that it isn't.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I can't help you dismantle it but my rule of thumb is that if it went together, it will come apart. You need to make sure you can see it well as in have plenty of light, you may be overlooking something. I would go out on a limb here and assume that the drive train is not disposable hence it is serviceable. One other thing you can do is to visit the local Snapper dealer/servicer and ask to see a diagram of the differential. Take the model and serial numbers.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Agree w/ the other posts -- had a nearly 30-yr old Snapper rider w/ so many hard hours on it the whole frame was wearing through and been welded over and over and the differential/drive train never had a problem. So, I think it unlikely to be a problem in the differential to begin with. Add to that the "drive in reverse, no-go in forward" and it doesn't sound like a differential problem but the drive.

But, if raise rear off ground and have in neutral and can turn one wheel and the other goes 'round opposite, it definitely isn't. Unless and until that test fails, no need to go further in your quest on the "how" of disassembly.

If it does indeed fail that test and isn't in the tension adjust or some other drive problem related to that, the dealer for service/repair/parts diagrams is the ticket. I didn't do a search, but would be somewhat surprising if can't find them online as well...

It's been too long to recall much specifically as for a guess on the how, but undoubtedly the axle will be held w/ a snap ring on one or both ends and they'll come out with the proper incantation...

Reply to
dpb

I appreciate the posts so far. When I flip it over and turn one wheel, the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction. When turning the wheels the same direction (like normal) it will rotate the disc a little and then slip. makes kind of like metal rubbing on metal.. maybe chain on metal.. then it will catch again. Maybe a stretched chain? As far as it being in forward gear position the clutch(?) makes full contact with the drive disc.. Thanks again for your help!

Reply to
sirmopalot

It's beginning to sound to me like a sprocket and/or chain problem.

Could be a near toothless sprocket or, as you sugggested, a really slack chain.

Let us know what it turnes out to be, once you bite the bullet and start getting inside it.

If you've got a digital camera handy, it wouldn't hurt to snap a few "reassembly guide" pictures if your short term memory is as lousy as mine has become.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yeah definately will!