Smoke alarms

Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real fire.

My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some use just a AA battery.

Not about to have them hard wired in, so that option is out. Looking for suggestions on decent alarms.

Thx.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby R.

FWIW, I just upgraded mine to a new wireless model. I have one combo smoke/co on each floor (3) and one smoke only in each bedroom (4). These run one year+ on 2 AA alkalines. And the interesting part is that they are all talking to one another wirelessly and they even talk. If/when an alarm is triggered they will actually identify the detection and location (i.e.: carbon monoxide detected in basement . . .) Mine are First Alert model SCO500 series. Not too cheap but pretty much a one-time investment.

Happy searching.

Reply to
bobmct

Are you sure about your "one-time investment" assertion? Many newer CO detectors (I'm not sure about the smoke detectors) "expire" after seven or ten years and cannot be reactivated afterwards.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Yeah. That's what it said on the box. I tried unplugging my CO for the 6 or more months I don't use heat,, and it gives you enough time to get to another electrical outlet and then it starts screeching.

So I took the batteries out and it was silent, but I still didn't know if I'd stopped its clock or not.

What do you think, time spent with no AC and no batteries counts against the N years, or not?

Reply to
micky

We had an alarm go off a few years ago, and called the Fire Department. They responded with a lot of equipment and concluded it was a false alarm, and remarked that the alarm I had was prone to false alarms. I asked what the best alarms were. They said First Alert smoke detectors, and a Nighthawk carbon monoxide detector, which is a plug in device. That was some years ago, and things may have changed, but I think a company that is making good products now, will probably still be making good products in ten or twenty years.

Reply to
No name