Smelly Sink Drain

Same deal with my bathroom sink, I never noticed any sewer smell before the new faucet then once I installed it, when the hot water is running, it smells of sewer the first couple seconds, and then goes away, always to return. I dont know why this is. Only when I run the Hot water do I smell it. Strange...

Reply to
Joe Sloppy

Did you install a goose neck? Any chance that the water is getting sucked out of the goose neck? or drying up?

Reply to
HotRod

i think it's just a fluke that you are getting the smell now. it may have happened over time regardless if you changed the taps or not. i had the same problem. the cause is sulfide - unharmful bacteria but smells like rotten eggs. most people don't bother to filtrate their hot water but i did. pick up a whole house "sulfide eater" and install it - no more sulfide.

gl

Reply to
robson

I installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Ever since, whenever you run HOT water in the sink, you get a strong odor of sewer gas. I have taken it apart several times, cleaned it, ran bleach water down the drain and overflow, checked to make sure the drain pipes were correct, etc. Whatever I do, the smell returns in a couple days. Any one have any Ideas what I can try next?

Reply to
Old_boat

Yes, I used the same pipes that were on the old sink, and every time I take it apart, the trap is full of water.

Reply to
Old_boat

I have this problem in the kitchen sink, and it happened after I installed new faucet. This happens when I turn on cold water and the smell goes away after a minute or so. Anyone have a solution. Patt

Reply to
Patt

Did you use some kind of sealant in the drain that may be letting off an odor when it get hot? Maybe the sink has some sort of coating that you need to clean off that maybe making an odor when the hot water hits it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

A test: Run the first hot water into a bowl, not letting it get near the drain. If it still smells, it's the water. (I get occasional sulfer smell in the hot water..)

Doug Warner

A test: Run the first hot water into a bowl, not letting it get near the drain. If it still smells, it's the water. (I get occasional sulfer smell in the hot water..)

I took it apart again last night, this time I took off the tail piece of the sink drain also. I found that the space between the top of the sink drain and the bottom of the sink drain where the overflow goes into the tailpiece just full of black gunk. Now the question is, why is this particular sink accumulating this stuff in that area. I cleaned it all out and now it does not smell at all, but I bet it will return in a short period of time. Could it be the faucet drain is not designed properly? This is a cast sink that is made of all one piece of a resin type material that resembles granite?

Reply to
Old_boat

That black gunk took years to build up, right? Or is it a new sink? Whatever. Maybe get into the habit of spraying some straight bleach in there from time to time. The stuff isn't much different than the obscene amounts you'll find when a drain pipe gets clogged and you snake it out. You know - the stuff that is apparently able to travel 30 feet across the basement, and get all over things you didn't think you needed to cover with plastic.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Nope sink is only a few months old. I have been running bleach water down the drain and the overflo. It is a mystery to me.

Reply to
Old_boat

keep your butt out of the drain and the smells will go away.

Reply to
Cinthia