small tubes of grease

Page 1 of 2
I'd like to find a source for small tubes of grease. Should be in the one to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.
Ideally something in stores local, so I don't pay lots of freight for shipping.
Small enough to put conveniently in a tool kit. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

to four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

pping.

Jesus. -----
- gpsman
On 4/24/2013 3:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

I just fill some small waste containers like little jars. They don't even need to be air tight.
Just as you can buy synthetic motor oils, you can also buy 100% synthetic greases.
THE FIRST fully synthetic grease on the market was Permatex's "Super Lube", which came out about 12 years ago and is still an excellent all-around grease to use in all seasons and for all reasons. Permatex is a division of the Loctite Company.
This picture shows a 3 ounce (85 gram) tube. It's about 5 inches tall and 1 1/2 inch wide with a screw top cap.
[image:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/primary/934/934844.jpg ]
It also comes in smaller tubes:
[image:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b0PJCkwcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg ]
It's clear in colour and fairly light in viscosity so far as greases go. If I were looking for an all-purpose grease to keep in a truck or tool box, this is the one I'd go with.
--
nestork

On 4/24/2013 5:05 PM, nestork wrote:

Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease and the pound out in the garage will last for many years. A pound of this grease costs about as much as the 3 oz tube of synthetic.
You shoot? The popular view of gun owners is that you're a homicidal maniac who goes into schools and kills kids? Eeek! Hide!
For tiny bits of grease, I'd been using vet supply house syringes, 6 CC lasts a while. If the plunger sticks to the grease and I have to throw it out, it's no big deal. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote in message
Almost tempting to buy as I shoot and use grease on crossbow rails. I've been using white lithium grease and the pound out in the garage will last for many years. A pound of this grease costs about as much as the 3 oz tube of synthetic.
On 4/24/2013 8:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

An ounce of grease will last me for a lifetime of shooting. I only use it on the slides of semi's.
Only grease fitting I think I have left in the garage is on my lawn spreader. They took these things off cars long ago and my new lawnmower has none. So, I've got a pound of white lithium grease which will last a lifetime.
I like to tell the story years ago when I was into bicycling and guy in the lab tossed out a can of PTFE mold release. I thought this would be a good thing to grease the bicycle chain and rid it of dirt. It did a nice job of lubing but after a couple of weeks the chain started to rust. Apparently the absence of hydrocarbon grease in the PTFE would not protect the metal from rusting. This makes me reticent to use something not designed for such usages.
Intersting idea. Starts abotu nine bucks a tube on Ebay. Might do that, if nothing cheaper comes along. I'd like heavy, rather than light. More likely to stay in place. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:05:32 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:

Why are you saying that DuPont Krytox, which has been in existence for at least a few decades longer, is not fully synthetic?
That's one option. Small pill bottles, maybe. I was hoping for a dispenser like syringe, or squeeze tube. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 4/24/2013 12:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Dollar store has syringes for injecting juice into meat. The grease will attack the rubber seal on the plunger. You'll still be able to force it in, but you won't get it back out.
I use insulin syringes filled with gun oil for fan bearings.
At a buck a syringe, it's no big loss. Interesting idea. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 04/24/2013 12:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

> Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, > to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

How about bicycle grease? It's kind of overpriced, but it fits your criteria. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Otherwise, it's pretty easy to refill a tube of toothpaste; I do this all the time for backpacking with the little travel-sized tubes, and have refilled the same one about a half dozen times already. The "trick" is to just hold the output (source) tightly against the tube you want to fill, and squeeze the source tube.
It wouldn't take much effort to do the same with a grease gun and a tube of toothpaste. The trick here would be cleaning all of the toothpaste out of the empty tube, but a few shakings with hot water, followed by drying it out, would supply you with the tube.
Jon
The bicycle grease is what I wanted, but a bit pricey. Might do that, if nothing else shows up. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
How about bicycle grease? It's kind of overpriced, but it fits your criteria. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Otherwise, it's pretty easy to refill a tube of toothpaste; I do this all the time for backpacking with the little travel-sized tubes, and have refilled the same one about a half dozen times already. The "trick" is to just hold the output (source) tightly against the tube you
want to fill, and squeeze the source tube.
It wouldn't take much effort to do the same with a grease gun and a tube
of toothpaste. The trick here would be cleaning all of the toothpaste out of the empty tube, but a few shakings with hot water, followed by drying it out, would supply you with the tube.
Jon

Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white grease, lithium grease, etc.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_dielectric-tune-up-grease-%283-oz%29-permatex_12027861-p?searchTerm=grease
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_dielectric-tune-up-grease-%28-33-oz%29-permatex_7010435-p?searchTerm=grease
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_white-lithium-grease-%281-5-oz%29-permatex_7160070-p?searchTerm=grease
By gosh, I think he's got it. I live near a couple Advance Auto. I bought a tube of thier 3 ounce dielectric grease, a while back. Stil have a bunch, I can squirt that into hypo syringes, and put in my tool box. The smaller tubes are less of a value, in the price per ounce department.
Thank you, great find. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Check auto parts stores. They sell small tubes of dielectric grease, white grease, lithium grease, etc.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_dielec tric-tune-up-grease-%283-oz%29-permatex_12027861-p?searchTerm=grease
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_dielec tric-tune-up-grease-%28-33-oz%29-permatex_7010435-p?searchTerm=grease
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_white- lithium-grease-%281-5-oz%29-permatex_7160070-p?searchTerm=grease

Check out your local AutoZone or equivalent auto parts store. What you want is readily available there.
--
Tegger

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:45:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!
I don't have enough space in my tool box, to be carrying around a ten pound, 26 inch long grease gun. Do you carry a fire axe in your purse to the grocery store? that's what I do! . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Why not just use a regular grease gun, barely squeeze the trigger and use the tiny amount at the tip. that's what I do!
On 04/24/2013 08:05 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the seepage.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel