Small natural gas wall heaters?

Our remodel includes two rooms that will not be heated by the central NG furnace. These two rooms will require independent heat. There are some good reasons for this that aren't relevant to my question, so I won't waste your time explaining them.

Electricity is too expensive in my area, so I want nothing other than NG in those rooms. The rooms share a wall. One is 10 x 10 ft. The other is 11 x 14 ft. Both have 8 ft ceilings, one window, insulated walls & ceiling on a concrete slab floor. We're in a mild climate (California) where winter temps rarely fall below 30 degrees F.

My calculations indicate that a 4000-6000 BTU heater is more than adequate for each room, but I am having difficulty finding gas heaters in that range. Ideally, I'd like a dual-wall unit; one heater serving both rooms on the shared wall. The smallest such device that I've been able to find is a whopping 50,000 BTUs. Overkill. Lots of smaller single units, but no dual ones.

And, because code in my area requires vented units, I can't use some of the more readily available smaller unvented NG heaters. Even the vented units indicate that they must be vented through the wall instead of a stack through the roof, which means they can't be used on the shared wall.

So I'm looking for ideas and suggestions, recommendations (brand names, model numbers, web sites, etc.), anything that might help me solve this problem. Some of you HVAC pros have any insights you can share?

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos

Ever heard of Google??

I just typed "Propane wall heaters" and got over 47,000 "hits". Here is one:

Red Neckerson

Ever heard of reading the post?

I said natural gas, not propane. I said vented, not unvented.

I've been googling for days, which is part of the problem. 47,000 hits (most of which are dead or duplicates) doesn't narrow my choices. I've been to epinions, too. When I narrow the search to natural gas I get eighteen hits, all of which are either unvented or way over the 6000 BTUs that I need. I've been to Trane, Carrier, Convectair, Bionaire, Sears, Home Depot, Cadet, Empire, Rinnai, and half a dozen other manufacturers. What I'm looking for doesn't seem to exist.

Thanks for the advice, though. It was real helpful.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos

This is Turtle.

I will have to do some research here to get to a small ass heater like you want with only 4K to 6K btu heaters in each room and must be vented. This heat load is just too small to try to be cost effective here. You sure you can't just hang a hair drier in each room and turn them on low.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

How about a small (30-40 gallon) NG water heater, installed and vented where appropriate, and 1 TACO circulator pump connected to a line-volt thermostat, and install hydronic baseboard heat?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Hi HA, hope you are having a nice day

On 19-Aug-04 At About 08:51:06, HA HA Budys Here wrote to All Subject: Re: Small natural gas wall heaters?

HHBH> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here)

HHBH> > From: "TURTLE" snipped-for-privacy@worldnetla.net

HHBH> How about a small (30-40 gallon) NG water heater, installed and HHBH> vented where appropriate, and 1 TACO circulator pump connected to a HHBH> line-volt thermostat, and install hydronic baseboard heat?

because a lot of areas don't allow this. if you are thinking of doing this check with the local inspector.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2