Small engine repair advice

Page 2 of 2

With fuel injection and electronic ignition, many cars today do not have any of the above. Also not much needs ot be done now. I had a 1991 Toyota that had 200,000 miles on it and only changed the plugs once around 100,000. The old stuff needed them changed about every 20,000. Also the points. I did have to take it to a place to get the timing belt changed.
Atleast you could find the old stuff under the hood. Now it looks like one big mass of steel and hoses.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 14:30:19 -0500, Zootal

My oldest daughter - a "poor grad student" at St. Mary's in Halifax, was "babysitting" a 2001 Sunfire for a classmate who was out of the country for a few months. The car was not terribly well maintained, andshe said it "seemed to misfire" and made funny noises - so she didn't drive it much. 2 weeks ago it almost quit on her - would not do more than about 30kph, and barely made it into the parking lot, with check engine and traction control lights on. She called me, in Waterloo Ontario tosee what was wrong with it. I had her pull a couple of plug wires and determined the 1-4 coil was not firing - and told her it needed a new set of plugs and wires and a new coil. She went to Canadian Tire, bought the parts, and borrowed a set of cheap tools from a classmate friend. With some help she got the plugs out, and one bolt out of the coil - but the other one stripped the head - so she had to take the complete coil pack assembly off and take it to Canadian tire where a mechanic drilled the head off for her, and she removed the stuck bolt with her newly purchased vice-grips. No-one in Halifax had the required coil bolt - so she got on the internet and found there was one in Bridgewater - 2 hours away. When I texted her to tell her where to find one, she had already found it (the same one, at the same dealership) She figured out another classmate/friend's parents lived in Bridgewater and, since this is a long weekend in Canada, he could bring it back next week if he went home for the weekend - as long as she could arrange to have it picked up ahead of time. When she called to make the arrangements to havr it picked up the parts gut said one of the mechanics was heading into Halifax the next night - and he dropped it off at her door and she finished putting it back together on Friday and said it "ran like a dream" She was VERY proud of herself.
Her Dad was pretty proud of her too - she's generally not the "handiest" - and had to ask "I know it's right-tighty and lefty loosey - but thats at the TOP of the swing, right Dad?" For an International Development major she did pretty darn good!!!
There's some hope yet for the younger generation.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 10:07 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Damn. too far.
nate
(my ex's car was apart for about 2 years - no lie - because she would never help me put the intercooler and front bumper back on after the supercharger shat the bed, and I couldn't do it by myself. Eventually I think she sold it to a friend of a friend, still in pieces, for pennies on the dollar.)
Add pictures here
✖

Dashpot? I've not heard that term in over 35 years; probably no one under the age of 40, maybe even 50 knows what it is.. I've cleaned many a choke pull off to get it working again too.
Add pictures here
✖

Shear Key is best case scenario and I hope it did fail - fairly easy fix. After the key you are looking at more unpleasant things like a bent crankshaft, dropped valve, etc.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖