small bathroom solutions

Apologies if this comes through more than once, my newsgroup account is acting up.

Are there any companies in the US who specialize in tubs and showers for small bathrooms, like ravak.com in Europe? I'm looking for a tub/shower/surround/doors combination with a ~48" x ~29" tub.

I've found a small tub, the Huron from American Standard, but they don't make a tub surround or the shower doors.

Thanks for any suggestions. Timo

Reply to
Timo

Other than for bathing small children or dogs, a tub that small is useless. And if you put doors on it, you can't even use it for that. Can't even honestly call it a full bath when you advertise the place for sale. Better a precast or custom shower base, and solid surface panels, or one of those trimmable 'universal' surround kits for the walls. Any glass company can make you a door kit to whatever dimensions you need. It'll cost a lot more than one of the standard size kits from the big box, but it will look better, since it will be an exact fit, and not have those telescoping side rails the cheap kits use to make them adjustable.

IMHO, the footprint you have available calls for a custom walk-in shower.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

I've never seen anything that small in the US. It'll probably have to be custom made or you'll have to do it your self. I saw lots in Japan when I was there, including a complete bathroom about 2.5 times the size of of a 747 toilet. It was made by Hitachi, all one unit, looks like they just dropped them in place, wired them in, hooked up the plumbing, done. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

The inexpensive tub surround kits could easily be trimmed to 48". The back and end panels are just flat plastic. The corner pieces are the only parts with molded in features. Check out the displays at Home Depot.

Many of the better ones might trim to 48" also, you would just have to measure the pieces to determine which ones would work.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Unfortunately, shower is not in the cards. Building codes, if I'm not mistaken, mandate minimum 32" sides for a shower, but we don't have that depth from the wall. We have about 30" till we meet the doorframe:

_ ___________________________ ^ |................... |......TUB..........toilet

30" |................... ( ) |................... |................... _ d o o r _ sink |_____________________________

A 48"x27" tub is not "useless" -- but I do agree that you cannot lie down in it stretched out. We don't intend to sell any time soon and anyone who wanted something bigger could always replace it with a standard tub. We do have a standard tub now, and it actually abuts the toilet tank, the room is that cramped. I don't know what the builder was thinking in the late 1940s when this house was laid out.

For now, I'd like a shower and my wife wants a bath, and she'd be fine with 48". The only way we can get a shower into this room is to make it part of the bath-tub unit, because of the code.

I was aware of the custom-glass option, but was hoping to avoid the additional cost. There's far more choice on the European market -- building codes there seem aimed more at safety in materials and methods of construction than in mandating sizes.

Regards Timo

ameijers wrote:

Reply to
Timo

[...]

ameijers wrote:

Reply to
Timo

Reply to
Timo

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Also unfortunately, I have 2 like that. Seems a lot of mobile homes come with them. I am looking into the future giving up the smallest bedroom to a proper tub room but for the moment I'm stuck with this tub.

It's really not that bad, but as you suggest, shower doors only cut down on the space.

We found these curved shower rods at HD for $20 Can and put them on both tubs.

Really makes a difference to the room for showering.

MoM

Reply to
MoM

Whoa that's a mighty small tub. Have you seen one and sat in it? Another thing you might consider is an ofuro or japanese style tub like here:

\\ Quite small but very deep. A bit expensive. I had actually looked at stock tanks at Farm and Fleet, nice size and the price is right. Does it come in ivory? Another thought is to move the toilet. My brother did that. Its in a closet in the hallway opened up a lot or space in the bath and you don't have that double use problem. "Uh I wouldn't go in there for a while honey." Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

What are the dimensions of the room? The toilet requires a 30" wide space. How wide is the door, could you change it to be 2" smaller? What about the door trim, could that be made smaller? Is rearranging the plumbing an option, or is that too invasive?

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney