Slugs

I have slugs crawling out of my kitchen sink drain. There were five of them in the bottom of the sink this AM. What is the best way to get rid of them? One of my ffriends told me to put a spoon full of salt down the drain everytime I use the sink. House is on the sewer, PVC pipe to the street, no trees in the path and otherwise no drainage problems. Are they just coming up out of the sewer or should I expect some type of damage to my plumbing?
Jimmie
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:37:52 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

I have never experienced this, but *after* you use the sink might help. I know pure salt will kill them, but I don't know about salt diluted by the water in the trap. Couldn't hoit.

seal the drain with the stopper to see if they are really coming up the pipes, i dont see how they can be comming from the sewer, laundry bleach should kill them and clean up any growth in your pipes they might go for.
On 12/5/11 12:37 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

I thought slugs ate plants. To get to your sink from the drain, they'd have to submerge themselves in the trap. I don't think they like to go underwater.
If you put salt in your drain and they still show up, they must be coming from elsewhere. They may be seeking water. If you have an idea where they are entering your kitchen, garlic will repel them. The caffeine in coffee grounds will kill them.

I doubt they are actual slugs, first they would be too big to get out of the drain, usually over an inch long and as thick as a pencil.
I've seen little crawlies come out of a drain though, they do move around like slugs, but they're tiny.
Almost anything will deal with them, hot water, bleach come to mind.
Just don't put any spare nuclear waste down there, you'll get a Godzilla-slug.
:)
--
Dan Espen

Amazing! Please be sure to post what you find out about the origin of the slugs. -- Rik
--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
On 12/5/2011 12:37 AM, JIMMIE wrote:

That seems odd..I've only seen them on sidewalks and lawn. Salt kills them very quickly, so I'd dump a cup of salt into the drain and let it sit for an hour or so. The may have been on fresh produce and washed into your drain. I would really be surprised if they return. If you have any houseplants near the sink, check them, as that is a likely home.

take a photo of them and go to a site like 'tinypics' and they will provide a link to the photos you can post here.