Sluggish bathtube drain

At least once a year, I have a someone tell me my suggestion works.

Make sure trap is filled with water. Cover overflow with a wet cloth, while holding the hose to the wet/dry over drain opening. Repeat until it drains freely.

You must refill trap after each time you suction, covering the overflow with a WET cloth is a very important step. You do not want to suck air.

Try it, it works.

Reply to
Larry

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:4866864.1135.1333801072828.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbi17:

yes,and neither sodium hydroxide or sulphuric acid will affect a plastic blockage.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Should have said "impossible unless the toilet is backing up too." Would have nipped your bud.

That's why I put "relaxation" in quotes. She counts those in the hairbrush too. Though "counts" might be too strong. Let's say "notices." Except for some thinning, I've still got my hair. Too old to care about it though. It was the opposite of losing that hair that told me I was aging. Hair growing in my ears. That pissed me off.

Probably just differently designed plumbing. Mine looks to be 3" pipe going into the drum trap. Maybe 2 1/2", The setup is similar to this, but mine has larger diameter inlet/outlet.

Mine has the cleanout plug on the bottom. The one in the vid is plain stupid if there's no floor access on the top. I'm not planning on replacing it unless I have to. There's venting issues these guys don't mention, so anybody doing this should look at codes. Though drum traps are now forbidden by code in some places, the drum provides a better gas trap than an 'S." I'm no expert on this, but since I've done plenty of plumbing work, I detect a lot of BS on the DIY forums. Saw one guy suggest taking the plate off the overflow to get a good seal there when plunging. That can easily break the dope seal there on the overflow tube, leading to a leak when you fill the tub. BTDT. Unless you're getting into the plumbing wall, you don't want to disturb that seal. Not worth the risk.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I really hope you are kidding.

Please don't tell be that you have separate plungers for your toilet and tub.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I can imagine a two plunger family.

My Mom gets seriously offended, when she goes to a resaturant. And the cleaner uses the same towel to wipe seats, and table tops. In her mind, ought not wipe where peoples butts sit, and then use the same towel to wipe where the food goes.

.

I really hope you are kidding.

Please don't tell be that you have separate plungers for your toilet and tub.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which towel do you think the hotel maid uses to wipe out the glasses in the room?

For those who think you get one from a dishwasher every time, look at how many glasses are on a maid cart, barely enough to replace the broken and stolen ones ... but there is a big stack of those "sanitized for your protection" paper caps the put on the glass.

I guess those 2 plunger families wash their ass before they get into the tub and they never pee in there.

Reply to
gfretwell

argumentative

You think so? (-: You've forgotten the "earned v. saved" thread for which I humbly apologize. That got out of hand a bit, far more than the whole concept ever warranted.

There's the old saying: "My hairline is making a beeline for my neckline. And my ears!"

Do tell! You mean people would actually give bad advice or parrot something they heard elsewhere without really knowing of what they speak? Say it isn't so.

That's why I cram plastic garbage bags into the overflow to seal it.

My buddy's on the way over to borrow my Sawzall. Seems he was helping his daughter put a garbage disposal into her newly bought fixer-upper. I advised against it. A dishwasher is a good reason to torture rusty old galvanized, Frankenstein-looking plumbing but a garbage disposal, IMHO, is not. Well, as he was cutting the drain to install a wye fitting he heard a clunk inside the wall. Soon he'll be cutting it open to repair the broken drain pipe. )-: I just hate it when a two hour job suddenly expands into a two day job - or more.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Where's the similarity between using the same towel for the seats and table tops and using the same plunger for the bowl and tub?

One involves food before it's eaten and one involves food afterwards. Big difference.

What do you do with the plunger after you plunge a toilet full of dirty water? Do you just stand it back up on the floor/stick it back in the closet or do you rinse it off first?

Me, I swirl it around in the toilet to get any debris off and then I put it in the tub or shower and rinse it off, inside and out.

Besides, what would happen if you went right from plunging the dirty toilet to plunging the tub? Would there suddenly be a 2" thick coating of fecal matter over the entire tub and walls? I doubt it! Any dirty water from the toilet would get washed down the tub drain long before it even came close to a body part.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the time I wrapped the plunger handle in aluminum foil, slipped a plastic flame over the plunger end and it was used by a high schooler when she dressed up as the Statue of Liberty for the Homecoming Parade. That would probably gross some people out. It didn't bother the young lady...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

With sceptre and sword, I bet not many people gave her attitude?

.