Sluggish bathtube drain

Page 2 of 2
On 04/07/12 4:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Where's the similarity between using the same towel for the seats and table tops and using the same plunger for the bowl and tub?
One involves food before it's eaten and one involves food afterwards. Big difference.
What do you do with the plunger after you plunge a toilet full of dirty water? Do you just stand it back up on the floor/stick it back in the closet or do you rinse it off first?
Me, I swirl it around in the toilet to get any debris off and then I put it in the tub or shower and rinse it off, inside and out.
Besides, what would happen if you went right from plunging the dirty toilet to plunging the tub? Would there suddenly be a 2" thick coating of fecal matter over the entire tub and walls? I doubt it! Any dirty water from the toilet would get washed down the tub drain long before it even came close to a body part.
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the time I wrapped the plunger handle in aluminum foil, slipped a plastic flame over the plunger end and it was used by a high schooler when she dressed up as the Statue of Liberty for the Homecoming Parade. That would probably gross some people out. It didn't bother the young lady...
With sceptre and sword, I bet not many people gave her attitude?
Maybe I shouldn't tell you about the time I wrapped the plunger handle in aluminum foil, slipped a plastic flame over the plunger end and it was used by a high schooler when she dressed up as the Statue of Liberty for the Homecoming Parade. That would probably gross some people out. It didn't bother the young lady...
You know, scrubbint the bath tube with Spic and Span is good. I use simple green, for mine. Mine gets some kind of buildup. I'd never use a power washer in my bath tube. Too much back spray from the tube, or chance of blowing out a drain.
Standard plunger could work.
I'd just wipe it down with Spic & Span and seal it with Bin or Kilz. Wouldn't have thought of using a power washer. Still won't. To be clear, "standard toilet plunger" to me is the most common one, This one. http://tinyurl.com/73au9la
That's all I've ever used, and it's always worked. Don't know why anybody would think it doesn't work on a tub or sink.
--Vic
The link you provided, didn't say what the active ingredient is. Is it labelled on the bottle?
For clogged bathroom drains, the culprits are usually grease, soap, and hair. As others have suggested, the drain snake is the best answer. Failing that, a hydroxide based drain cleaner is needed. Hydroxide turns grease to soap, and helps move the crud down the drain.
You may also get some short term relief by dumping boiling hot water down, which will help move the clog down the drain.
I been fighting this one beast, forever!
Been using red bottle Drano cleaner: http://tinyurl.com/79p85pb
Works, slightly, fer 6-7 wks, then slows down again. I must say, the tub never really drains very well. Even with fresh application of above. Toilet, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, etc, never backed up. Jes the tub.
I bought some Rooto brand drain cleaner from True-Value. I hesitated using it. It's sulfuric acid! I called the company to ask about if it may damage any part of my system. They played dumb. I haven't used it.
Any advice?
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!

I use an enzyme product as discussed here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19274313-enzyme-bacteria-based-drain - cleaners
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7yhkav4
Then, if I still need to use a sink plunger on it, I won't have to fear backsplash of chemicals.

drain,
turning
the
I bought a device to do that. It's got a garden hose thread on it and a big tapered rubber head that fits into various sized drains and makes a fairly tight seal. If you don't push down hard enough, though, it will spray you good. It works well on the basement slop sink but blew apart the apparently never properly glued drain line under the kitchen sink. I think they press-fitted the connections and then forgot to glue them. Boy, was that ever a frakkin' mess. All sorts of grayish, greasy splooge blown over the insides of the cabinet under the sink. Ever see that scene in the remake of "The Fly" when the baboons get teleported inside out? (-:
-- Bobby G.

Had the EXACT same problem!
Tub was SLOW! Bet soon your other items will slow, too.
Tried everything, including a couple of bottles of coke (which I had work in another home once)
I finally gave up. Tried snaking, DIDN't help?! Uh, why not? Seems the drain piping fills with a clear jello like substance that the snake went through, then came out and the jello remained!
SOLUTION - Buy those hose attachments for for pressure cleaning out a drain. They expand inside a pipe as the water is turned on to automatically form a seal. Small one for small vent pipe, large canvas bag type for big vent drain pipe. Don't be surprised at the price of that large one! Get a pair of walkie-talkies, station one person inside the bathroom, the other goes up on the roof and feeds a garden hose down the vent drain pipe to just below where the drain feeds into the vent pipe.Turn on/turn off water and see if safe to proceed. If so, do again, if still safe blast away!
When I did this, the first 'nudge' backed the sink up slightly, luckily the second nudge cleared enough so that the full blast really cleaned the pipes.
Before, the water in the tub ran out faster WITH the plug in, After, the drain speeds were like a wet-n-dry vacuum.
Years later I had to hire pros to clean the jello out from the pipes going from the house to city mains in the street - that's large diameter pipe, too! They snaked twice with pro equipment from the clean-out access beside the house to the street, less than 100 feet away and NEVER CLEARED that jello like substance out. They came back the next day and used something the size of a jet engine mounted on its own trailer, and sounded like it too, to blow the jello into the city mains! Took them half a day using that tool and charged $600! But, it did work permanently, well at least for another 15 years I know of.
On 04/07/12 5:00 AM, Robert Green wrote: ...snip..

It's possible that the drain cleaner softened up lot of the crab on the walls of the pipe but that it never got washed down before it hardened again.
IIRC I read about that issue when I was researching one of those enzyme based drain cleaner. It specifically warned about a slow drain turning into a stopped drain if the material wasn't flushed away soon enough.
Just a thought...

At least once a year, I have a someone tell me my suggestion works.
Make sure trap is filled with water. Cover overflow with a wet cloth, while holding the hose to the wet/dry over drain opening. Repeat until it drains freely.
You must refill trap after each time you suction, covering the overflow with a WET cloth is a very important step. You do not want to suck air.
Try it, it works.