Slow Draining Kitchen Sink - Garbage Disposal Problem or Pipe Clog?

My kitchen sink will barely drain unless I turn on the garbage disposal. The sink fills with water when the garbage disposal is off, but the second I turn it on, the water goes right down the drain. This started happening after I overworked the garbage disposal one night (onions, celery, etc).
The guy at the hardware store said the pipe is not clogged, since the sink drains perfectly when the garbase disposal is on. I've checked out the disposal unit and the sink drain trap, and nothing seems to be clogging either.
I've plunged, poured vinegar and baking soda, and used Liquid Plumber, but nothing helps. Do I need a new garbage disposal, or need to call the plumber to unclog the pipes? Or neither? THANKS!
On 17 Apr 2004 18:33:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan) wrote:

And maybe carrot peelings? It sounds like your diverter tube may be clogged.

IMHO, he's partially correct. When you turn on the disposal, yer not 'draining' the water...yer pushing it.
Take the rest of the piping apart...especially the diverter tee.

I doubt it. Actually, that seems to be the only thing that's working WELL! lol

Not if yer handy...and can do it yourself. Take all the plumbing under the sink apart. Check all the fittings for clogs. If you want, run a garden hose down the vertical pipe going to the main...to assure yourself that there's no backup there.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Dan wrote:

Try running a bunch of ice cubes through. Grinding up ice cubes helps clean the disposal.
Don
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan) wrote:

I had a similar problem once. And no the pipe was not clogged. When I took it apart turned out a butter knife had slipped down the drain on the opposite side of the sink...
Michael Nickolas www.studionineproductions.com