Simple drywall/sheetrock question

We all know there are several thicknesses of drywall. What general applications are required for each thickness? Code? For example, if building a closet, other than the obvious thickness, is it acceptable to use 1/4" instead of 3/8' or 1/2" and vice versa?

Reply to
Meanie

I don't know about code specifics, but generally 1/2" is used everywhere for ceilings, wall, closets, etc. If there are fire rating issues, for example, then thicker may be required. I would never use 1/4" for anything, unless it was absolutely necessary because of a critical space or similar issue. And even then, it better be a protected area, because 1/4" is flimsy.

I bought some 1/4" couple years ago for just such a need. As I recall, it was about the same price as 1/2" too, so you're not saving anything.

Reply to
trader4

Well, around here, 5/8 is used for firestop, that is, a ceiling in a room below a bedroom.

Otherwise, 1/2 is the norm for almost everything.

I use 1/4 for making arches, such as arched doorways, because it is easier to bend, especially when wetted down.... If it seems too flimsy, just put another layer of 1/4 over the first.

I am not aware of the uses of 3/8...

Reply to
Robert

On 6/17/2013 7:35 AM, Robert wrote: ...

Find it in spec/low-end housing (as in cheap) simply for that reason. If building large spaces it can be a noticeable input cost differential to the developer.

Some will try it for ceilings for the weight -- w/ trusses (2x4 flat surfaces) the net span on 16" centers may be enough to keep bowing from being too excessive.

Otherwise, for OPs question, it would be a passable alternative for his proposed closets and other low-traffic areas for (as noted) minimal cost-savings.

Reply to
dpb

I have used 1/4" in 3 situations:

1 - The flat section of a ceiling over basement steps where the paint on the original plaster was so badly peeled that putting up a ~3' x 3' piece of 1/4" drywall and taping the corners was easier than trying to scrape and skimcoat the original ceiling. Glued and screwed.

2 - Similar situation for a bathroom ceiling with a flat section and a sloped section with a curved junction. Bending the 1/4" worked OK, but I smoothed out the curve with drywall compound. Glued and screwed. I had scraped and sanded the original plaster too many times to want to do it again. The drywall has held the paint for many years, something I can't say about the plaster.

3 - Same bathroom, small area above window. The walls in my house are 3/8" brown gypsum board coated with ~ 3/8" plaster. The area above the window continually peeling and the plaster was cracked. I used my HF Multi-Function tool tool to remove the plaster down to the wall board and then shimmed the area to accept the 1/4" drywall that I had left over from the staircase ceiling job. I might have tried 3/8", but I didn't have any 3/8" scraps so I used what I had available. Besides, with the shims, if was fairly easy to get the 1/4" drywall flush with the surrounding plaster.

I agree that it needs some sort of backing, 1/4" is too flimsy to be used by itself over a large area.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, good point. If it's going over existing to make a new finish, that makes sense too.

Reply to
trader4

It's good for curved surfaces. Put on one layer - wet if necessary - then another layer on top.

Reply to
dadiOH

Couldn"t I accomplish the same thing by getting 1/2" drywall twice as wet? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've use it where I wanted the appearance of a drywall finish, but had no code or structural issues to be concerned about. Like a closet liner. Main advantage is ease of use with the low weight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

or make cuts on the backside to help it bend. Lots of cuts every half inch or so

Reply to
bob haller