Sign in code

Is this new sign in code put in place to reduce spam.

I have no idea why except that it seems to be getting common for sites to request new, more secure codes be entered. I have had to do so in several different sites already.
the odd thing about Google Groups is that is seems not to matter what you input. I changed mine but when I use it I get "invalid code" but then "redirecting" and I wind up in google grouips anyhow. Next time it comes up, I am going to try inputting something random and see what happens.
Harry K