In-wall lighting code?

Hi,

Here's what I want to do (in PA).

Cut out drywall between two studs. Mount a florescent light on one of the studs. Put a tempered frosted glass panel (in a wooden frame) over the opening to finish it off.

Any obvious code issues here? I'm anticipating some given the recessed application of a non-recessed fixture?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

Uh, why not just buy a recessed fixture to put in there? It's been a few years, but I have seen ones like you are describing. Used in auditoriums and such for low-level wall lights that people won't bump into, before they went to those floor-embedded rope light things.

I'm no code expert, but I'm pretty sure that what amounts to a fully-enclosed wood recessed fixture around electrical connections and a heat source, would not pass muster. Maybe if you lined it with metal, but then you may as well buy a fixture.

Reply to
aemeijers

I would think it's fine as long as the fixture is accessible for repair or replacement without having to remove any of the buildings finishes

Reply to
RBM

Codes vary from location to location, so someone else's experiences aren't going to mean much. You need to call your local code enforcement office and ask them. At a minimum, I suspect you'll be told that the fixture needs to be enclosed in a fire resistant or UL box. I have recessed stair lighting and that's how they were able to install that.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Is there a recessed fixture like that? I can't find anything skinny and long.

Reply to
Sam Takoy

Is the florescent light suitable to installed in an enclosed space without excessive heat damaging it? In other words is the florescent light that you are planing on using have a cover as part of its original design? If so then make a recessed wooden box with a bottom and four sides using one of the studs as one of the sides.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Why don't you go to a real lighting supply store and ask them what they have around to show you... Trying to find something like you want at Home Depot is a losing battle...

Wall lighting is more common in commercial buildings for decoration type purposes and accent... I have seen all kinds and types of signage enclosures which have had lights in them but that is overkill for what you want...

I would try to find a metal fixture which has a proper enclosure because fluorescent lighting ballasts can be quite warm when operating and you wouldn't want the wood fixture you would be recessing in the wall to get too hot...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan